Becoming a mother is another level of happiness you feel in your life. Your first trimester has ended, and now you might be settling a little in your pregnancy phase. 4th month or 16th week marks the starting of the second trimester. There will be many new changes and first-time ultrasound visits. Nothing to be afraid of, it’s all to take care of you and your precious little one. 4 months of pregnancy symptoms is a little relaxing, as people around you now know that you are pregnant and you too have been mentally prepared for it.
So what are the bodily changes and baby development which you will see in your 4th-month pregnancy?
Check out the blog-
4 Months Of Pregnancy Symptoms
As you proceed in pregnancy, your constipation problem will increase. The increased progesterone level hinders the digestive process and delays the bowel movement. To get some relief from constipation, drink a lot of water, eat fibrous food, and walk around for 30 minutes.
2. Frequent Urination-
Being pregnant takes a lot out of you. As your uterus expands, it applies pressure on your bladder, making your frequent visits to the washroom.
3. Shortness of Breath-
As you reach the 4th month of pregnancy, you will see you are not that active as you used to be, or you feel tired most of the time. Your growing baby applies pressure on your lungs which makes it difficult for you to breathe.
With a growing bump, your digestive system is also pressurized which makes your digestion slow. The pressure on the digestive system also pushes the stomach acid upwards resulting in heartburn.
During pregnancy, you gain more blood and the increased supply of blood puts pressure on tiny blood vessels inside the nose resulting in a nosebleed.
6. Bleeding Gums-
If you are thinking, does pregnancy leave any part normal? Then the answer is No, having a baby or being pregnant can be felt by each and every body part of yours. Pregnancy makes your gums soften, which increases the sensitivity.
7. Morning Sickness-
Morning sickness is something that won’t leave you until you deliver the baby. Though the frequency of morning sickness may vary from person to person and pregnancy to pregnancy. Nausea and vomiting can be felt even during later months during pregnancy.
8. Vaginal discharge-
Hormonal changes during pregnancy can lead to white vaginal discharge also.
See more- How to get rid of stretch marks at home?
What medical test to expect in the 4th Month?
The medical tests which you will be going through in the 4th month are-
1. Physical examination-
Your weight, blood pressure, and hemoglobin levels are checked. Also, your vagina, breasts, and abdomen are examined.
2. Ultrasound scan-
You will be going through your first ultrasound in the 4th month called the Anatomy scan. It will happen around the 20th week i.e. halfway of your pregnancy. So, you can count it in the 4th or 5th month too. Through this ultrasound, you will be able to listen to your baby’s heartbeat for the first time. Ultrasound will let you know about your and your baby’s health, it helps to determine the fetus’s age and also let you know about the presence of twins.
Doppler ultrasound to check the heartbeat of your little one
4. Triple test-
This is done to check for hormones such as estriol and hCG in the blood.
5. Alpha-fetoprotein screening-
The AFP test is for neural tube defects. This test is done as a follow-up test to your first-trimester screening. In this test, the AFP level is checked if it is high, there can be chances of twins If the AFP level is low, your baby may have down syndrome and if the AFP level is abnormal there will be a detailed look at your baby’s spine.
See more- How to Stay fit during pregnancy?
Bodily changes in 4th Month
Apart from your growing baby bump, there are some other changes also which you can notice. They are-
1. Skin changes-
You might feel changes in your skin. The increasing level of pregnancy could cause blotchy skin. So, it is recommended to never overlook your skin changes, use mild cleansers, moisturizers, and lotions too.
2. Breast changes-
Now, you will start seeing changes in your breasts too. From the beginning of the fourth month, the nipples and areola start to become a little darker. Also, you will be able to see the veins clearly.
As your pregnancy increases, the pressure will develop on your feet resulting in the swelling of both feet and ankles. It is advised to take frequent breaks in between and not to stand for long, this will help to alleviate the swelling.
4. Varicose veins-
The increased blood volume in the body and longer hours of standing can enlarge the veins in the legs causing varicose veins.
Baby development in 4 months of pregnancy symptoms (14-17week)
So, you might be eagerly waiting for this section. Well, as a would-be parent all you want to know is how big has your baby grown and how is he doing inside. So, read more to know about baby development in the 4th month.
- Limbs- Till 4th month or 16th week, the limbs and joints of your fetus are properly formed. Your baby has recognized its thumb and now has started sucking it, which you can see when they are born.
- Backbone- Your little one’s backbone has grown strong now, he can even straighten his head and neck. Baby’s grip has developed and now when bored your baby can play with the umbilical cord also. They can even yawn in the womb and now their nervous system is also connected with the muscles.
- Skin- Your baby’s skin is still very transparent and in the ultrasound, you can only see the blood vessels under the skin.
- Hearing- You must be very excited now, as your baby is now able to hear from you. You can talk to your baby, read him stories, and can also play some soothing music for them. When they come out they are able to recognize the music very soon.
Do’s and Don’ts in 4th Month Pregnancy
- You can still continue to do regular exercises after taking approval from your doctor
- Start sleeping on your left side. You can use either some cushions or pregnancy pillows for comfort.
- Start buying some maternity clothes
- Have sex or spend some intimate moment with your partner
- Visit the dentist regularly, to avoid bleeding gums.
- Stay away from alcohol and smoking
- Do not clean your pet’s litter, as it increases the risk of allergies
- No more hot tub baths and saunas.
What to eat in the 4th month?
- Eat more iron-rich food such as meat, fish, nuts, soya beans and seeds, eggs, dark green leafy vegetables.
- Fiber-rich food such as oatmeal, almonds, green peas, raspberries, apple, banana, and pears.
- You should include calcium-enriched food such as milk, yogurt, okra, broccoli, and almonds
- Vitamin C food like sweet potatoes, tomatoes, cauliflower, cabbage, etc.
- Foods that are rich in omega fatty acids.
- Eat at least 5 times daily
- No eating of raw and undercooked meat
- Avoid fish containing mercury
- Do not drink too much coffee
- Avoid spicy food, fried food.
- Include protein-rich food such as seeds, legumes, meat, chicken, and carbohydrates.
So, these are some of the tips and tricks for your 4 months of pregnancy symptoms and what to expect from it. Now, is the time for you to sit back and relax as your morning sickness and the tension of the first trimester has ended. Enjoy this phase, because still 5 months to go and you will miss this 4th month a lot.
- Pregnancy Do’s & Don’t You Just Know It
- Pregnant- Things To Take Care Of During Pregnancy
- How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks Naturally
- 11 Safe Home Remedies for Cold During Pregnancy (Tips)
- How To Avoid Morning Sickness During Pregnancy
- Best sleeping position during pregnancy