This is the last month of your First Trimester. The 3rd-month pregnancy refers to 9-12 weeks of pregnancy. Just two more trimesters to go. The first three months of the pregnancy are the most exciting one, as you feel everything new. You know you are pregnant, so you try to feel it. You take the utmost care of yourself, you feel yourself growing and expanding. So, let’s understand a little more about 3 months of pregnancy symptoms. What your baby will look like, your diet, and baby development.
Check out the blog-
What are the symptoms of 3 months pregnant?
The last month of the first trimester you will notice the following changes and 3 months of pregnancy symptoms
- Morning Sickness- If you are lucky, your morning sickness will have an end in this trimester. Nausea and vomiting the two-morning sickness decreases down by the end of this month.
- Fatigue- During pregnancy, the changes in hormonal level makes you feel tired and sleepy. Your body requires extra strength and nutrient supply to give it to the fetus. Hormones affect blood pressure and blood sugar level, which makes you feel tired.
- Vaginal Discharge- High estrogen level and dilation of the cervix increase the vaginal discharge. This discharge prevents the infection from getting into the uterus through the vagina.
- Constipation- The baby is growing and taking up space in your stomach, which results in the slow digestion process hence constipation. Also, the increase in progesterone hormone slows down the digestion process.
- Mood Swings- Hormonal changes give you mood swings. You may feel your feelings or mood-changing frequently, all this is because of the hormonal changes at 3 months pregnant.
- Backache and abdominal pain- Backache and abdominal pain are very common during pregnancy. As your baby grows, the uterus stretches which makes your ligaments and tendons to stretch, giving you abdominal pain. To ease the pain you can start some exercise. Its most common 3 months of pregnancy symptoms
- Leg Cramps- You may feel leg cramps and pain during the third month at night. To help get relief from leg cramp includes potassium and iron in your diet and also you can perform some exercises.
- Varicose Veins- As the uterus expands; it puts pressure on blood vessels. This pressure decreases the blood circulation, causing the swelling of veins. Also as your weight increases, there comes pressure and load on the circulatory system, which results in the appearance of varicose veins.
- Food Cravings- Expecting women have a lot of food cravings. They develop a liking towards the smell or taste of certain food. And also they develop a disliking too.
Baby Development in 3 Months Pregnancy
By the time you reach the third month, your uterus becomes the size of grapefruit. It covers the whole pelvic area. The changes you see of 3 months pregnant fetus are-
3 months pregnant baby size
- Your baby has become the size of ripe plum.
- Baby is about 3.5 inches long.
- Till the end of the third month, the embryo gets settled inside the uterus.
- Head looks larger, as it is the time for brain development.
- Baby gets a transparent skin and veins are visible through the skin.
- Baby has got a new identity, as the fingerprints are formed.
- The thumb is formed, and the baby starts sucking it.
- Heartbeats can be heard electronically.
- Muscles and bones of the baby get organized.
- Your baby is becoming active, it will start kicking, stretching, and twisting, but you may not feel this. As the uterus is not in the right position.
- Kidneys get developed and start excreting the urine.
- Pancreas starts functioning.
- Ears and nose are visible, the neck is taking shape, fingers and toes have got fingernails and toenails.
3 Months Pregnant Ultrasound
The doctor will take an ultrasound, just to be sure of amniotic fluid parameters and position of the placenta. Ultrasound done during the 11th – 13th week can also help to detect any neural tube defect during this third month.
Ultrasound is done to understand the health of the baby and mother. A healthy baby is born from a healthy mother.
Lab Test during the Third Month
Now, is the time to discuss any health issues running in your family. The doctor will ask about the health history of your parents, apart from this you will have to undergo following lab tests-
- Weight and Blood pressure are checked.
- The doctor will measure the size of the abdomen.
- A urine test to check sugar and protein level.
- A blood sample test, to detect the Rh factor and check for anemia.
- Maternal serum (blood) tests- to check for two substances in blood: PAPP-A and hCG.
- PAPP-A is used to determine abnormal levels of protein.
- hCG helps to check whether the pregnancy is progressing normally or not.
Body Changes during the Third Month
Apart from belly getting bigger, you can expect the following changes in your body-
- Breasts become Tender- Your breasts have become tender and heavy. Your body is now preparing itself for breastfeeding. The breast size will increase and the areola will become darker and larger.
- Veins are Visible- Blood volume increases and so your heart also pumps faster, this makes your veins more visible on breasts.
- Increase in Weight- Your baby has started growing, and now your uterus and belly will expand too. By the end of the third month, you will start gaining weight around 1-2 kgs.
- Mood Swings- The mood swings stay with you for the whole pregnancy period.
- Sleep Disturbance- The real struggle starts; you may feel the change in your sleep pattern. It is possible you are wake at night and sleep during day time.
- Lack of Libido- Most women feel excited and romantic during the first trimester, but as the pregnancy increases, they tend to lose interest in sex. The hormone fluctuation and changes in physical appearance also make you lose interest in intimacy.
Things to remember while being 3 Months Pregnant
There are some things which you should keep in mind, as now your morning sickness has left you. So, you can focus on your health properly-
- Eat properly- You will have a lot of food cravings. So, enjoy a proper healthy meal. Make sure to consume all the nutrients and eat green leafy vegetables, pulses, nuts, yogurt, etc. An enriching diet with vitamins, calcium, fiber, omega-3 fatty acids is beneficial at this time.
- Take Rest- Have proper rest. Your body will feel tired and fatigued with all the changes in your body. Take as much rest as you can. Sleeping on your left or right side is preferable. Avoid sleeping on your back.
- Take Supplements- If you feel, you are unable to take proper nutrients. It is recommended to take supplements prescribed by the doctor. Continue taking folic acid, to avoid any birth defects.
- Dental Check-up- Getting regular dental checkups is a must, as your gums are prone to bleeding due to hormonal changes.
- Quit Smoking and Drinking- It is very necessary to quit smoking and drinking as soon as you know you are pregnant. Smoking and drinking can lead to miscarriage.
- Exercise- Now is the time you can start the exercise. Start with low-density exercises like walking and swimming. Do not take up exercise, in which there is a risk of falling.
- Avoid Heels, go for the comfortable sleeper.
- Avoid oily and spicy foods.
- Do not lift heavy objects, as it puts pressure on the womb.
- Exercises which you can do in 3rd-month pregnancy are-
- Morning walk: Morning walk helps to uplift your mood and also maintain proper blood circulation in the body.
- Yoga asana: There are many different yoga asanas that help to maintain the proper pregnancy, and also prepare you for the delivery.
- Swimming: It tones your muscles and increases the blood circulation.
- Pilates: It increases flexibility during pregnancy.
- Aerobics: Low-impact aerobics strengthen the heart and tones the muscles.
So, these are some of the changes which you can expect in the 3 months of pregnancy symptoms. The third month is a crucial time; you need to take care of yourself. This third month is also the end of the first trimester, and till the first trimester, your body comes into the shape of your pregnancy.