Being pregnant is one of the most amazing feelings in the world, but we all know that it comes with many different changes in the body. Like mood swings, weight gain, and the biggest one are the stretch marks. Yes, if you are pregnant, you will get stretch marks as a gift. Stretch marks occur when your body weight grows and your baby grows week by week. It occurs because at a certain point your skin loses elasticity and skin cells get damaged. Know about how to get rid of stretch marks.
Don’t worry ladies, though there is no permanent way to get rid of stretch marks, however, you can make them fade away. And over time, as your skin becomes normal you will see very few of those stretch marks. In this article, we have discussed some home remedies, which are totally safe, and using them regularly will make your stretch marks lighten.
Check out the blog-
What causes pregnancy stretch marks?
Stretch marks are caused when your skin is stretched to an extreme limit. During pregnancy, when the child grows your skin expands and slowly it reaches the extreme level, where it loses its elasticity. Stretch marks are caused due to weight gain or due to the weight of the baby.
What happens is – The dermis below your topmost layer of skin tears down and exposes the beneath layer and this results in stretch marks. In simple words, as your body is making space for your baby, the skin keeps on stretching, which leads to pregnancy stretch marks. The following are the reasons for stretch marks-
Do the stretch marks go away?
- Stretch marks occur if you are carrying a big sized baby inside you.
- You may be carrying twins, this result in overstretching and causes stretch marks.
- Pregnancy makes us gain a lot of weight in a short period of time, resulting in stretch marks.
- The loss of elasticity of your skin may be because your body may be producing a higher level of cortisone.
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy also cause stretch marks.
How To Get Rid of Stretch Marks?
We all know how ugly and stubborn stretch marks are. Once someone gets them, it is very hard to get freedom from them. You can make them less visible and they can fade away, but to remove them permanently and completely you need to have medical treatments.
There are two main ways in which a new mom can erase the stretch marks- Home remedies and Medical ways. Both ways are effective, but doctors and many women prefer home remedies more before they go for medical ways.
We have shared both ways with you in detail. Keep reading-
Home Remedies To Remove Stretch Marks
Home remedies are the best, effective, inexpensive, and organic way to fade the stretch marks. Following are some home remedies, you can try on-
1. Oil Treatment–
- Massaging with oil in the affected area makes the skin hydrated and also provides nourishment. Some of the oils which can be used to remove stretch marks are-
- Castor oil: Apply castor oil on the affected area and massage it in a circular motion for 5-10 minutes daily. Then cover it with a plastic sheet and roll the hot bag over it. This helps the oil to penetrate more, heat helps to open the pores.
- Vitamin E oil: Vitamin E is very effective in providing nourishment to the skin. Extract Vitamin E oil from the capsule. Mix it in the moisturizer and apply it to the stretch marks regularly.
- Olive oil: Olive oil helps to moisturize and exfoliate the skin. It improves blood circulation. Take some oil in your hand and apply it to the affected area. Leave it for 30 mins. So that the nutrients are absorbed in the body. Take a bath after 30 mins.
2. Aloe Vera–
- What better than the magical plant to heal and soothe the skin. Aloe vera gel makes our skin soft and heals it properly. It acts as a natural healing agent. Amazing benefits of aloe vera for skin and health.
How to use It?
- Cut the fresh aloe vera leaf.
- Rub it directly on the affected area.
- Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Honey is filled with antiseptic and anti-microbial properties. It helps in curing the damaged skin cells and fade away the marks. Honey also makes sure that the skin with stretch marks is not dry.
How to use it?
- Take 1 tbsp of honey and a small cloth.
- Place the cloth on the affected area
- Apply honey on the cloth and let it dry naturally
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
You can also prepare honey scrub- by mixing honey, salt, and glycerine.
4. Egg White–
As effective as an egg is for our health, it also makes our skin healthy and helps in removing the scar. It increases the skin’s elasticity and makes it plump. This is the reason Egg white helps to make the stretch marks fade away.
How to use it?
- Take 1-2 egg white
- Beat the egg properly, with the help of a brush apply it to the affected area
- Let it dry naturally
- Rinse it off with cold water and moisturize the skin.
5. Shea Butter–
Many of us have used Shea butter before and we know how hydrating and moisturizing it makes the skin. Shea butter helps to exfoliate the dead skin cells, making the skin clean and clear. It helps to make skin soft and smooth, thereby helping in reducing and fading the stretch marks.
How to use It?
- Take some shea butter or cocoa butter
- Apply it on the stretch marks and massage it properly
- Rinse it off after some time
6. Sugar Scrub For Stretch Marks-
It is very necessary to exfoliate the skin as it helps to get rid of dead skin cells. Sugar makes one of the best scrubs to exfoliate the dead skin cells and makes the skin soft and clear. This scrub is also very effective in making the stretch marks lighter.
How to use It?
- Take 1 tbsp of sugar and mix it with almond oil and lemon juice
- Use this like the scrub on the affected area
- Take a regular shower after 15 minutes.
7. Lemon Juice-
Not many know that Lemon can help to take care of your skin. Lemon juice is filled with vitamin C and acidic properties. It helps to balance the pH value of the skin and also fade away the stretch marks.
How to use
- Take a fresh lemon juice
- Rub it on the affected area
- Leave it for 10 minutes
- Wash it off with lukewarm water
Yes, water constitutes 70% of our body composition. But still, many moms do not drink enough water. Keep your body hydrated, This is the key point in making your pregnancy healthy. Having a well-hydrated body helps in fading the scar, as your skin will start healing itself.
Try drinking 10-12 glasses of water in a day. Avoid soda, cold drinks, and coffee they dehydrate your body. You can drink fresh juices also.
9. Potato Juice–
Potato juice has proven its worth in removing dark circles. The phytochemicals and polyphenols help in improving skin texture. Potato juice is very effective in removing dark circles, dark spots and now stretch marks.
How to use
- Take one potato, peel it and cut it in half
- Rub the potato slice on the affected area
- Let it get soaked in the body
- Let it dry naturally
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water
10. Turmeric and Sandalwood–
Oh! A paste made up of all the good ingredients. Sandalwood helps to calm and soothe the skin and Turmeric has anti-bacterial and lightening properties. Together they help to lighten the stretch marks. Just make sure that both the ingredients suit you.
How to use
- Take 1 tbsp. of sandalwood powder
- Add a pinch of turmeric to it
- Make a paste with the help of water or rose water
- Apply it to the affected area
- Let it dry 60% and then wash it off with lukewarm water
Many of us might not have heard about this. Even it came as a surprise for me too. Alfalfa is a type of leaf which are known for its anti-fungal properties. They help to detoxify the skin and are also rich in vitamin E, proteins, and amino acids. Using Alfalfa leaves daily will help to reduce the stretch marks.
How to use
- Take few alfalfa leaves and crush it
- Make a paste of it by adding chamomile oil
- Massage it over the stretch marks
- Apply it regularly for 2-3 times a day
You can buy alfalfa powder from the store
12. Baking Soda and Lime–
This is one effective home scrub for stretch marks. Baking soda acts as a good exfoliator, removing the damaged dead skin cells and Lime or lemon has the bleaching property which helps to fade away the scar. Together, they help to clear out the skin and make it soft and smooth.
How to use
- Take 1tbsp. of lemon juice
- Mix it with 1 tbsp of baking soda
- Apply the mixture on the stretch marks
- Let it dry for 10-15 minutes
- Wash it off by gentle rubbing
13. Apple Cider Vinegar–
ACV is that versatile ingredient, which gives us good health, good hair, and now clear skin. Apple cider vinegar is very helpful in removing acne and also in making our skin healthy. Its acidic property helps to balance the pH level of the skin. It works perfectly on the scars and lightens them.
How to use
- Take 1 cup of ACV
- Dilute it with 2 cups of water
- Apply it or spray it on the affected area.
- Let it dry naturally and keep it overnight
- Take the usual shower in the morning.
14. Coffee Beans–
Coffee beans are rich in antioxidants, and they help to reverse the damage. The caffeine from the coffee can enter your skin easily and helps in revitalizing it. It stimulates the blood circulation and also provides proper nourishment to the skin.
How to use
- Take ½ cup of coffee beans
- Mix it with coconut or olive oil
- Use the mixture as a scrub, on the affected area.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and rinse it off with water.
15. Dry Brushing–
This is something new and unique and very effective to fade away the stretch marks. Dry Brushing helps to make the blood circulation good. It enhances the functionality of oil and helps in the exfoliation of dead skin cells.
How to use
- You need a soft bristles body brush.
- Gently brush the affected area, in a circular upward motion.
- Brush for 5-6 minutes.
- Shower as usual and apply moisturizer.
16. Petroleum Jelly–
Petroleum jelly is an occlusive agent, which locks the moisture in the skin and keeps it hydrated. Many people think Petroleum jelly is only good for lips, but it has proven its worth in moisturizing and nourishing the skin.
How to use
- Apply petroleum jelly on the affected area
- Massage with it for 5-10 minutes
- Perform this every night.
17. Give it time–
As pregnancy takes 9 months, you need to give your body at least 9 months again to get in shape. Relax, concentrate on breastfeeding, and weight loss will help to make the stretch marks fade away. Your skin takes time to get back in shape. Above home, remedies are easily available and also beneficial. You can choose any of them to try on your skin.
Natural ways to remove stretch marks
- Contrast Showers and Swimming- One might not think about this, but this has a very significant effect on our skin. They help in proper blood circulation and also enhances skin elasticity. You just need to take showers between hot and cold water for the micro-circulation in the skin.
- Exercise– Exercises are one of the most effective ways to stay healthy and also to tone our muscles. They work on the muscles around stretch marks and help to regenerate the skin tissues. Having a proper combination of exercise and a balanced diet helps to fade away the stretch marks to a great extent.
- Medical Treatments– This is for those moms who are very conscious about their body and want the stretch marks to be gone forever. If you are tired of using home remedies, you can opt for any one of the treatments. But these treatments should be done under expert supervision only.
- Chemical Peels: It is also called derma peeling, it requires the application of a chemical layer on the skin that contains chemicals like- glycolic, lactic, carbolic, and salicylic acid. A layer of this chemical result in blister formation, later the blistered skin is removed for the new skin formation.
- Laser Therapy: This therapy is the most commonly used and also works on both older and deeper marks. It involves repairing, vaporizing, and breaking down the affected cell tissue. It is one of the costly methods, but a permanent way to remove stretch marks.
- Glycolic Acid: The alpha hydroxy acid is filled with peeling properties. It helps to restore collagen production, increases skin elasticity, and makes the stretch marks less visible. There are many Glycolic acid capsules present, but they should be taken under a doctor’s supervision.
- Stretch Marks Removal Cream: There are many stretch marks removal cream in the market. They are made up of Vitamin E oil, retinol, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, or shea butter. They are very effective in removing stretch marks.
Bonus points To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
Hey ladies, we still got something more for you. Apart from the above home remedies, there are the following points to take care of to remove stretch marks-
- Make sure you apply lots of moisturizer to your skin. Your skin should be well hydrated, it improves skin elasticity and becomes less prone to wear and tear.
- You can add Vitamin E oil to your moisturizer, this helps in reducing the stretch marks.
- Increase vitamin C intake in your diet. Vitamin C helps in collagen production and removes stretch marks.
- If your stretch marks are old, you can use a moisturizer with SPF-60, this helps in concealing the stretch marks.
- You can also perform exercises during pregnancy like kegel and stretching, this helps in proper blood circulation in the body.
- Have a balanced diet- like eat fruits rich in antioxidants, rich in vitamin A, containing omega-3 fatty acids, and having high water content.
- The use of Bio-oil has been proven very effective, it is a stretch marks removal cream with petroleum-based.
- Use can massage with egg oil regularly from the first trimester over the abdomen twice a day.
So, these are some of the ways in which you can remove pregnancy stretch marks. Do not hurry for the stretch marks to go, it will take time. And also remember stretch marks never go off completely until and unless you go for medical treatment. They lighten and fade away with time.
Enjoy it and be proud of it. It is a sign of your motherhood.
When do stretch marks start to appear during pregnancy?
As your baby grows in pregnancy, your skin starts to stretch. You can notice stretch marks from the second trimester of your pregnancy, this is the time when your skin actually starts stretching.
Can stretch marks go away if I lose weight?
When you gain weight, your skin stretches giving you stretch marks. Losing the post-pregnancy weight will help your body get in shape but it won’t make stretch marks go away completely. Although they will become less noticeable.
How long it will take for stretch marks to disappear?
After childbirth, it is very difficult for the stretch marks to go away completely. They will become less noticeable in 6-12 months of time. If you take proper care of your skin, before and after pregnancy, they will fade away and become almost invisible.
- How To Avoid Pigmentation (Dark Spots) During Pregnancy?
- 17 Best Foods to eat during Pregnancy for Healthy Baby
- How to Increase Breast Milk Supply Quickly (Home Remedies)