Every woman wants the best for her baby. The moment you know you are pregnant, you become this superconscious mother who wants the best for her baby and for herself. No doubt pregnancy brings lots of suggestions from relatives, you will always hear that eat healthy for your baby. A healthy mother delivers a healthy baby and etc. But what are the foods which you can eat healthily and which also is good in taste? So, we have brought to you a one-stop blog for all the foods to eat during pregnancy for a healthy baby.
Check out the blog-
Best foods to eat during Pregnancy
Some of the foods which should be consumed during pregnancy are as follows-
1. Lean Meat: –
Lean meat is one of the best foods to eat during pregnancy. It contains amino acids which are the building block of cells. Eating high-protein foods helps to keep the hunger proper and it also stabilizes the blood sugar level. Many women suffer from Anemia during pregnancy. Consumption of lean meat helps to reduce it.
Eating 75 grams of Lean meat daily will keep your protein level proper during pregnancy.
You can cut lean meat like beef in many shapes, it contains less than 15% fat, other meats like chicken and turkey can also be consumed.
2. Lentils: –
Since childhood, we have heard our mother telling us to eat lentils. If you are a vegetarian, lentils are the only best way for the protein intake One cup of lentils contains around 17 grams of protein. They are rich in vitamin B folate, which is necessary for the formation of a baby’s brain and nervous system.
- Consuming one to two bowl of Lentils are good for health during pregnancy.
- There are many different types of lentils that can be consumed.
3. Yogurt: –
Yogurt is rich in calcium, protein, and folate. It helps to keep your nerves and muscles function properly. Eating plain yogurt is very beneficial for health, rather than consuming flavored yogurt. Flavored yogurt often contains added sugar, which results in calorie intake.
Bacteria in yogurt helps to keep the stomach calm and prevents yeast infections.
- Consuming 1-2 bowl of yogurt daily will help you fulfill calcium needs.
- You can add some cut fruits or vegetables in the yogurt, you can also try making yogurt smoothies.
4. Wild Salmon: –
Wild salmon is packed with DHA omega-3s, it helps to metabolize fat-soluble vitamins like vitamin E and A. They are helpful in curing the prenatal depression. And it is the healthiest food to eat during pregnancy as it is good for the baby’s eyes and brain.
- Consuming 8-12 ounces of wild salmon in a week is good for health.
- You can eat salmon by roasting it or you can also enjoy it with rice or steamed veggies.
5. Avocado: –
Avocado is very beneficial for skin, hair, and health. This creamy fruit is full of vitamin B-6, which helps to promote the brain and healthy tissue for babies. Avocados are even helpful for you; it helps to curb the morning sickness. It is rich in fat, which gives you the feeling of fullness for a long time.
- Consuming one Avocado daily is beneficial in pregnancy.
- You can add Avocado in sandwiches or can mash it with cheese or eat it as a salad.
6. Nuts: –
Nuts are packed with vitamins and minerals like zinc, magnesium, and potassium. It is a very healthy and easy snack during pregnancy. Nuts like walnuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. They are loaded with folate.
- Eating a handful of nuts daily is recommended during pregnancy.
- You can add nuts in caramel or in yogurt.
7. Carrots: –
We all know carrots are good for the eyes. It is loaded with beta-carotene which gets converted into vitamin A. Vitamin A is good for the baby’s eye, skin, and organ development. This is one of the good foods to eat during pregnancy. Carrots are known to make baby smart.
8. Red Bell Peppers: –
Red bell peppers are loaded with vitamin A and C. It is also rich in fiber, which keeps the stomach good. Red bell peppers also reduce the risk of having high blood pressure and preeclampsia.
- You can eat red bell peppers in the form of vegetables or can dip in yogurt for a snack.
9. Mangoes: –
Who doesn’t love mangoes? They are a great source of vitamins A and C. both of which are needed during pregnancy.
- Eating one mango a day is good for health
- You can directly eat them, make a mango shake, or make a frozen smoothie.
10. Eggs: –
Another great and safe food to consume during pregnancy. Eggs are loaded in protein, and are also a good source of vitamin D. Vitamin D helps to make the bones strong for baby. They keep our immune system intact and reduces the risk of gestational diabetes.
- Consuming one or two eggs is good for your health.
- You can poach an egg and consume it with veggies. Sprinkle some seasoning on boiled eggs.
11. Oats: –
Well, we all know how healthy oats are for us. Oats are filled with fibers and they also give us the feeling of fullness. It also provides relief from constipation.
- Consuming 25-30 grams of fiber is good during pregnancy.
- You can cook oats with all the veggies.
12. Banana: –
As good as banana is for our hair, consuming 1-2 bananas daily gives you instant energy. They are also light for the stomach and are rich in potassium. Bananas help to regulate the blood pressure and manage the pregnancy bloating.
- Eating one or two bananas is good for both expecting mother and baby.
- You can eat a raw banana or can also make a smoothie of it.
13. Sweet Potato: –
Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A. They contain 400% of vitamin A. Eating sweet potatoes during your first trimester is very beneficial for the baby’s growth. Make sure not to over-consume it.
- Eating a half bowl of sweet potatoes is good for the mother and baby.
- You can roast sweet potatoes or can even fry them.
14. Quinoa: –
Many women start eating quinoa in their pregnancy planning. If you haven’t added quinoa in your pre-pregnancy diet, you can compensate it by adding it during pregnancy. Quinoa is rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium, and zinc.
- Consuming one cup of quinoa is good during pregnancy.
- Quinoa can be cooked in less than 20 minutes, you can make it with sweet potato cubes and black beans for adding great taste to it.
15. Dried Fruit: –
Dried fruits such as figs, dried apricots, dates, and prunes are a very rich source of energy. Whenever you feel low, or blood sugar dropping consuming a handful of these dried fruits will give you instant energy. Dried fruits are rich in fiber, iron, calcium, and potassium.
- Eating a handful of dried fruits are good for the energy source during pregnancy.
- You can eat dried fruits by adding yogurt in it, try stuffing dates in peanut butter or dark chocolate.
16. Whole grain bread: –
Swapping whole grain bread with your regular bread is the healthiest choice you will make during pregnancy. They are rich in fiber, iron, and zinc. A pregnant woman needs around 20-35 grams of fiber daily for a smooth pregnancy.
- You can have 2 slices of whole-grain bread
- You can consume whole grain bread by cooking it and adding some veggies in it.
17. Fish Liver Oil: –
Rich in omega-3 fatty acids like EPA and DHA, fish liver oil is very essential for the development of your fetus. It helps to develop fetal brain and eye. Fish Liver Oil is also rich in vitamin D and A. It protects against preterm delivery.
A single serving of Fish Liver oil is good for health.
What Nutrients Are Important during Pregnancy?
Above are the healthy foods which you can consume. To be more precise, you should be aware of the nutrients which you need to consume during pregnancy. Keep reading-
- Calcium- Calcium is a very important nutrient, to build a baby’s bones and teeth. If you skip the calcium from your diet, the baby will fulfill its requirement of calcium from your body, which leads to a deficiency of calcium in your body.
- Iron- Iron is needed to make hemoglobin. And having a good count of hemoglobin is very necessary. Hemoglobin carries oxygen throughout our body when a mother is pregnant her blood increases by 50% so your body needs more iron to produce hemoglobin.
Always keep the iron content in your body adequate from the start. So, you do not face any complications during the 3rd and 4th months.
- Protein- Protein is the building block of our body. It is very much needed during pregnancy. Protein-rich foods are safe foods to eat during pregnancy. They help organs of the baby like the brain and heart.
- Fiber- Consuming fibrous food during pregnancy helps in the proper digestion of food. During pregnancy, Constipation is one of the common problems which women deal with. Eating a good amount of fiber makes sure your digestion is proper and it helps to reduce the risk of hemorrhoids.
- Zinc- We do not really understand the importance of zinc. It is very important for the development of a fetus. Zinc helps in the growth of cellular integrity and biological functions. Foods enriched with zinc are healthy foods to eat during pregnancy like turkey, chicken, ginger, onions, bran, tofu, lentils, and pasta, etc.
- Fats- Whole life we spend limiting our consumption of fats. Even during pregnancy, an overly high-fat diet is not recommended. Overall the fats consumption during pregnancy should be just 30%.
Foods to Avoid during Pregnancy
- Raw Eggs- Eating raw eggs increases the chances of salmonella infection. So, make sure the eggs are cooked properly before consuming them.
- Uncooked Meat- It is very important that the meat is properly cooked. Consuming raw meat increase the chances of listeriosis exist as well as infection from pathogens.
- Fish having Mercury- Avoid eating fish like shark, swordfish, and marlin.
- Alcohol- Alcohol should be avoided completely or should be consumed at a minimum.
So, above are the foods and nutrients which every expecting woman should try to consume. If you feel you are allergic to any of the above food, you can consult your doctor for a replacement. Have a healthy nutritious diet and your pregnancy will proceed very smoothly.