Our whole pregnancy journey starts with getting pregnant, delivering a baby and getting back again in shape. Yes, that’s when the cycle of our pregnancy journey completes. Congratulations! You just had your baby. Now you want to spend all your time with your precious little one and that’s true even. But as you are getting back in shape, you might realize that the speed with which you used to do work before, has decreased. Yes, that is why you need Postnatal exercises to get back in shape.
Postnatal exercise should start after 6 weeks of delivery, and remember that the weight you have gained is from nine months, so it won’t just go away in nine days. You need to be patient, consistent and determined to lose weight. Just start easy, and keep it slow and easy until your body tells you so. TheBlessedMom has brought to you 10 Postnatal Exercise to get back in shape.
Check out the blog-
Benefits of Postnatal Exercises
You might be thinking what is the need for postnatal exercise, well to get back in shape is just one of them. There are multiple benefits of postnatal exercises. Some of them are-
- It helps to enhance your mood by increasing the releasing of good chemicals.
- Exercise helps to heal all the back ache and pains you get after pregnancy.
- Enhance your stamina.
- Tone up the body.
- Keep your body flexible.
- Reduces postnatal depression.
- Keeps your weight management.
10 Exercises to Get back in shape after Delivery
1. Lower Belly Exercise-
Your doctors will always suggest you start with the Lower belly exercises so that you do not put extra pressure on your abdomen. Below are the two best exercises for the lower belly-
Doing crunches is very effective to lose weight after pregnancy. Start slowly and do not exert much pressure on you. If possible, perform the exercise under professional supervision.
Lie down on the mat.
Your hands at the back of your head.
Legs to be folded from knee.
Now exhale and try to sit up
Try to touch your chest with knee.
Flutter kicks are exercises that works on the lower abdomen of muscles and also on hip flexors. You will feel the pose like swimming stroke, just the difference that it is on dry land.
Lie down on the mat.
Your hands at the side of your body.
Now pull up your legs at 45 degrees.
Hold your legs at that angel and move them up and down.
You will feel a great pressure on your lower abdomen.
2. Pelvic Floor Exercise-
Pelvic exercises after pregnancy are very important, to tighten the pelvis muscle. Exercises such as kneeling, helps to tone your tummy and strengthen your abs. Pelvic exercises helps in quicker healing of your perineum and vagina.
- Start by getting on all your fours.
- Your arms should be straight and palms touching the floor.
- Make sure your back is relaxed and not curved.
- Pull your buttocks forward as you inhale.
- Tilt your pelvis and rotate your pubic bone upward.
- Hold the position for three seconds.
No matter the time, age or situation brisk walking is the best way to keep yourself healthy and also to lose weight. Even your doctor will ask you to walk just after pregnancy, in order to release the gas formed after delivery. Walking helps you to stay fit and agile and also avoid forming blood clots in the body.
Start by walking for 10 minutes and then increase the time gradually.
4. Leg Raise-
Leg raise exercise helps to lose weight from the legs and lower abdomen. It tones and strengthens the muscles in the abdomen and legs. You can perform this exercise even while you are in bed.
- Lie on your back and your hands at the back of your head.
- Try to raise both the legs together at the same time.
- Hold the position for 3-4 seconds.
- Slowly release the legs
- You can perform 20 sets of exercise twice a day.
5. Bridging Exercises-
Bridging exercise helps to tone your tummy, bottom and thigh muscles.
- Lie on your back, with your hands at side.
- Bend your knees and slide your feet closer to buttocks.
- Take a deep breath and lift your bottom as high as you can.
- Hold the position for 5-10 seconds.
- Gradually lower your bottom to floor again.
- Repeat the exercise for 10 times.
Sit-ups will make you remember of those days when you used to get sit ups as punishment. It helps to tone your upper legs and also cut down the excess weight from your lower stomach. First start slowly and then proceed to more rigorous.
You all very well know; how effective swimming is for toning the whole body. It is a low-impact and non-weight bearing workout which helps to tone your tummy muscle. It does not put any major strain on ligaments and joints.
Planks is a little difficult but effective exercise as it puts pressure on the lower abdomen. It helps to improve the body balance and posture. Planks also helps to relief from back pain, improves flexibility and also improves metabolism.
There are many types of planks which you can perform. Like-
- Basic Plank
- Elbow Plank
- Knee Plank
- Side Plank
Pilates are a different form of exercise. It strengthens your body and makes it more flexible and balanced. It involves a series of movements and changes in position, that help to improve the body strength and coordination.
10. Twister Exercise-
A simple yet effective exercise. You will feel very energetic after performing this exercise.
- Simply stretch and twist your body while standing straight.
- Do it for 10-15 minutes on both the sides.
How long does it take for the belly to shrink back to normal?
You have just delivered a baby, you need to give yourself some time and also you need to have patience, when it comes to postnatal exercise.
The speed with which your belly can shrink back to normal depends on-
- Your maternal age
- Your baby’s size
- Diet plan and exercise you follow
- The weight you have gained around during pregnancy.
So, above are some of the exercises which you can start to lose your baby weight and get back in shape. But before, you start the exercise, it is better to consult doctor as they know about your body capacity and also your medical condition. Just with little effort and inspiration, you can become the fit mom you have always dreamed off.
Which postnatal exercise you performed?
- Benefits of Prenatal Massage: Safe Techniques
- Everything to know about Epidural Injections during Pregnancy
- Benefits Of Walking During Pregnancy Tips, and Precautions
- How to Tighten Loose Skin On Stomach After Pregnancy
- 10 Immediate Constipation Relief During Pregnancy Home Remedies