Massages are always relaxing and rejuvenating, whether you are pregnant or not, we have always loved a soothing body massage, to relieve any stress and anxiety. Well, pregnancy already brings a lot of change in the body, a good prenatal massage helps to alleviate the pregnancy pains and discomfort. It makes the pregnancy journey more enjoyable and soothing. So, let’s understand the Benefits of prenatal massage and also the safe techniques to do them.
Prenatal or Pregnancy massage is nothing but a full body massage, which relaxes the muscles and nervous system also. A prenatal massage lasts for 60-90 minutes depending on your body requirements. But there are many things to keep in mind while having the prenatal massage. Check out the blog to know more about it-
9 Benefits of Prenatal Massage
1. Relieves Stress-
Pregnancy is a happy phase, but it is also stressful. Prenatal massage helps to relax the muscles and reduce cortisol level, thereby reducing stress.
2. Improves Sleep-
With that bulging abdomen and all the hormonal changes, it gets difficult to sleep in the second and third trimester. Women who are involved in prenatal massage, get to relax and also sleeps better than others.
3. Relieves Headaches-
If you frequently suffer from headaches before pregnancy, chances are you can get migraines during pregnancy also due to hormonal shifts. Dehydration also causes headaches. Having a prenatal massage triggers some of the specific points and relieves headaches.
4. Reduces Swelling-
Increased pressure on legs and blood vessels, causes them to swell, which may result in edema. A good massage helps to bring down the swelling by stimulating soft tissues to lower their fluid collection.
5. Helps in Lower Back Pain-
During the second and third trimester, lower back pain is very common as the pregnancy proceeds. Prenatal massage relaxes the muscles and helps in relieving lower back pain.
6. Stabilizes Hormones-
Pregnancy means a rollercoaster of hormones, getting a good prenatal massage helps to activate the feel-good hormones and also improves mood.
7. Eases Heartburn-
Heartburn is one common problem during pregnancy. Lower abdominal prenatal massage helps to relax the nervous system, relieves pressure in the stomach and also loosens myofascial tissues.
8. Improves Blood Circulation-
Pregnancy massage helps to improve the blood circulation, which makes all the stress go away and also prevents varicose veins.
9. Reduces risk of Premature Labor-
Many times pregnant women are diagnosed with depression, because they keep thinking about all the body changes and also about the future. Getting a relaxful massage not only helps to deal with depression, but also reduces the risk of premature labour.
When to Avoid Prenatal Massages?
Since now we know the benefits of Prenatal Massages, we would love to take them. But before that, let’s also understand when to avoid the prenatal massages-
- Avoid the massages in First Trimesters, as it can increase the risk of miscarriage.
- If you are having nausea and dizziness, then avoid the massages as it can get aggravated.
- If your pregnancy is at high risk.
- You have a bone fracture or blood clot.
- If you are allergic to any essential oils.
- You have an irritable uterus or if there are any signs of premature labor.
- If after massage, you get a headache or if it makes you sick.
Safe Techniques for Prenatal Massages
We now know everything about Prenatal Massages, but it is very necessary to know about the safe techniques for prenatal massages. Check out the Do’s and Don’ts of the Prenatal Massage-
- During second and third trimester, it is difficult to lie on your back due to enlarged abdomen. At this time if you need to get a massage you will have to lie sideways. Make sure you use all cushions under your belly and between legs to support the belly.
- The prenatal massage usually lasts for an hour. But you can extend it to 90 minutes, according to your need.
- Your therapist will begin the massage from neck, shoulder, head and then move down to arms and legs.
- Use a gentle moisturizer or coconut oil for the massage.
- Test the essential oil on your hand, before the massage.
- Avoid oils like rosemary, oregano, peppermint, and sage as it can lead to uterine contractions.
- Do not press certain points on your ankles and wrist, it can lead to uterine contractions.
- Avoid getting massage on the massage table which have hole in it, it will keep your belly unsupported during massage, leading to stretching of uterine ligaments.
- Guide your therapist about the pressure while massaging
- Swedish massage is recommended during pregnancy as it mild and aims to relax muscle tension. It also helps to improve blood circulation and relieves from joint pain and backaches.
- If you are not comfortable with a therapist or if you can’t find a professional therapist. You can also take help of your partner to massage you- especially shoulder, back, arms and legs. Your partner can give gentle strokes on belly, this way he can bond with the child.
So, these are the benefits of prenatal massage and also the safe techniques which you should keep in mind. Just make sure that you get a massage from professional persona or your partner, it should be relaxing and soothing.
What are your thoughts on Prenatal Massage?
1. How late can I take prenatal massage in pregnancy?
After you have successfully completed first trimester, you can get prenatal massage anytime you want, just keep in mind that you should feel relaxed and comfortable.