Pregnancy is a phase where we get many cravings for the food and have a different level of desires. Many vegetarians crave for meat and eggs and non-veg avoid them. But since you are pregnant, you do not get a reason to eat anything. In fact, now you have to be more conscious about your health and the nutrition you consume. So, there are some foods to avoid in the first month of pregnancy. In fact, some say you should avoid it for the whole part of pregnancy.
Since you have shared your news of being pregnant with your family member, the first thing they would have said you are to avoid alcohol. But apart from alcohol, there are other foods also which you should avoid.
Check out the blog-
- Fishes- This might be a shock to many of you fish lover. But during pregnancy, you should avoid fish containing mercury. Mercury is one harmful chemical, which can cause a developmental issue in children. Therefore, you should avoid having fishes such as- Tuna, Swordfish, Sharks, Marlin, Orange Roughy and King Mackerel.
Also, you should avoid eating raw and uncooked fishes like shellfish. This could cause you infections such as bacterial and viral.
- Caffeine- If you are a coffee person, now is the time for you to become the tea person. Pregnant women are advised to limit their caffeine intake to less than 200 mg. Caffeine can easily pass and get quickly absorbed into the placenta which can restrict fetal growth.
- Meat- You should avoid undercooked, raw and processed meat for the same reason you avoid fishes. Raw meat can increase the risk of your infection from bacteria or parasites. Bacteria can lead to severe neurological illness including blindness, disability and epilepsy.
You should avoid whole cuts of meat such as tenderloins, sirloins from beef, lamb and veal.
- Raw Eggs- Raw eggs should also be avoided during pregnancy as it can be contaminated with Salmonella bacteria. Symptoms of it include fever, vomiting, stomach cramps, nausea and diarrhoea. Since you should avoid the consumption of raw eggs, you should also avoid-
- Poached eggs
- Scrambled eggs
- Homemade ice cream
- Cake icing homemade
- Homemade mayonnaise
- Papaya- Papaya should be avoided throughout your pregnancy. Unripe papaya contains latex substance, which may cause contractions of the uterus.
- Raw Sprouts- Raw sprouts is considered as the healthiest choice but not when you are pregnant. During pregnancy, your body is susceptible to infections easily. Raw sprouts include Alfalfa, clover, radish, bean sprouts may be contaminated with Salmonella. You can consume sprouts after they are being cooked.
- Alcohol- This is something you might already be known since the day you got pregnant. Alcohol should be avoided completely throughout pregnancy. It can increase the chance of miscarriage and stillbirth. Drinking alcohol during pregnancy can cause fetal alcohol syndrome.
- Organ Meat- Organ meat is a great source of nutrients like iron, vitamin B12, vitamin A, zinc, selenium and copper. All these nutrients are good for you and the baby. But consuming an excess of organ meat is not at all recommended during pregnancy. It can lead to congenital malformations and miscarriages.
Foods to Eat during the First Month of Pregnancy
Now, you know which foods to avoid during the first month of pregnancy. Let us have a look at foods to eat during the first month of pregnancy.
- Dairy Products- Dairy products are good for you and your baby both. It is a great source of calcium, protein, vitamin D, healthy fats, and folic acid. And all these nutrients are needed for a healthy pregnancy. So, try to add yogurt and milk in your diet to get all the nutrients.
- Folate-rich food- Folic acid is needed to avoid constipation during pregnancy. Even when you were planning, the doctor might have given you medicine for folic acid. Folic acid helps to form the neural tube, which is very important to prevent major birth defects. Some of the folate-rich foods are- citrus fruit, beans, peas, lentils, rice and fortified cereal.
- Whole grains- Whole grains are a rich source of vitamin B, carbohydrates, dietary fibre and minerals like iron, selenium and magnesium. All these nutrients are necessary for the proper development of the baby. Foods rich in whole grains are Barley, brown rice, oatmeal, millets, buckwheat.
- Fruits- Fresh fruits are very much needed to get yourself loaded with nutrients. Fruits such as avocado, musk melon, banana, guava, strawberries, oranges, pomegranate are rich in antioxidants and vitamins which help in the growth of the baby in the womb.
- Vegetables- Eat plenty of vegetables like broccoli, kale, spinach, carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, eggplant etc. They all are rich in different nutrients and will help in the growth of your baby.
- Seeds and Nuts- Nuts and seeds are a great source of proteins, vitamins, minerals, flavonoids and healthy fats. They will make sure that you do not face much problem in the first month of your pregnancy.
So, now you know which food to eat and which one to avoid. Always make sure you eat cooked and nutritious food, now along with your health, you also have to take care of your baby’s health. Always stay hydrated and avoid foods which are high in sugar level.
What was your food list during pregnancy?