How amazing it would be that as soon as you test positive for pregnancy, there comes a genie who does all your household chores. But let’s be real, there is nothing like genie or miracle in this world. And being pregnant does not stop you from doing household work, instead of being active during pregnancy is very helpful. Since you are pregnant, there are some household work a pregnant woman should avoid.
During pregnancy women gain a lot of weight, and as the weight increases the gravity of the body shifts, which makes it difficult to do all the household work.
So, let’s understand which household work a pregnant woman can do, and which not. Check out the blog-
Household work you can do in Pregnancy
There is no issue if you cook during pregnancy. It’s just if you are already cooking before your pregnancy, there won’t be much of the issue for you to cook during pregnancy. You can easily cook in your first and second trimester. In the third trimester, since it is recommended to avoid standing for long, pregnant women do not cook. a household work to avoid in the third trimester.
If still you had to cook in your third trimester also, it is best to-
- Keep a chair near you, so that you can sit when you want.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Don’t stand for too long. Sit whenever you can.
2. Cutting & Cleaning-
You can cut vegetables easily. Many women stand and cut the vegetables, it is good if you avoid it. Being pregnant it is good if you do not stand for a long period of time. So, you can sit anywhere you are comfortable like in balcony, sofa etc. and cut the vegetables.
Cleaning dishes is ok only till you have to bend down and lift heavy objects.
3. Mopping and Vacuuming-
Many pregnant women avoid mopping, as they get more prone to dust allergy. You should try to avoid any kind of bending work in the first trimester. Pregnancy also brings innovation, you can pick a broom and mops with long handles so that you don’t have to bend too much. But if you feel tired after mopping, it is best to avoid it.
Household chores to Avoid
In the starting of pregnancy, you can do almost all the household chores. But still, there are some of the household chores which will be best if you avoid them.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects like shifting furniture, carrying laundry or carrying anything heavy. All these may cause preterm labour and also increase the blood pressure.
- Try to avoid climbing, as the increased bodyweight may alter the body’s centre of gravity and chances are women may lose their balance. Tasks like cleaning ceiling fans or changing curtains should be assigned to others.
- If you have a pet, it is good to avoid changing cat litter tray, as they contain parasite which is not good for pregnant mother.
- It is good to take care of cockroaches and rats at the earliest as the fumes used to eliminate them are poisonous.
- Avoid any kind of painting in the house until the baby is born, as paint emit fumes which can adversely affect both mom and baby.
- It is good to change all your cleaning products to herbal or natural cleaning products such as vinegar, baking soda, and lemon.
- First and third trimester time is the period of exhaustion, so if you do not want to keep a maid, and it is ok with you to clean the home once in a week, try to list down the household chores which you need to do, and complete them one by one in the whole week. Make a time limit of 15 minutes to do a chore. You can do it either in the morning or in evening.
Stop the work and call your doctor in following conditions-
- Leakage or discharge
- Change in body temperature
- Nausea and fatigue
- Pain-like contractions
- Blurred vision
So, above are the household chores which a pregnant woman can do and which they cannot do. If at any time you feel tired doing the chores, it is good to take a rest and drink water. Also, make sure someone Is around you while you are doing the chores, as they can help you whenever you want.
Enjoy your pregnancy. And do not stress out.
1. Is it safe to do household work during pregnancy?
Yes, there is no problem in doing household work during pregnancy. You just need to balance between work time and rest time. So, that you get ample of time to rest and have a stress-free pregnancy.
2. What things to take care of during household chores in Pregnancy?
Whenever you are doing any household chore-
- Make sure there is enough ventilation in the room.
- Always wear gloves and cover your nose.
- Don’t use Aerosol Sprays.