After delivery, every mom’s main concern and priority is their child. They become conscious, whether their baby is getting enough milk and are comfortable or not. You might also be thinking How to increase breastmilk supply? Yes, low breastmilk supply in the starting weeks is a normal problem, which many of them deal with. When you are unable to breastfeed, you go for bottle feed or formula milk.
How to increase your Breastmilk supply fast? This is a very common search which almost every mom does after delivery. Well, no need to panic we understand your concern. Therefore, we have brought to you everything related to low milk supply and how you can increase your breastmilk supply easily.
Check out the blog-
Reasons for Low Milk Supply
Having a low milk supply is not a big deal. You need to understand the reason for the low milk supply-
- You are in a stressed environment.
- A history of Polycystic ovarian syndrome, thyroid or any other hormonal disorder. Moms having such conditions experience low milk supply.
- Any previous breast surgery.
- Excessive blood loss during birth which can delay the milk coming in breast.
How Breast Milk supply works?
Breast milk works on a very simple mechanism of demand and supply. As soon as your baby starts drinking milk, your body produces milk. Each time milk is removed from your breast, your body gets the message to refill them with more milk. Therefore, when you top-feed your baby, your breast milk supply declines slowly.
The more frequently and effectively your baby breastfeeds, the more milk your body makes.
Signs your Baby isn’t getting enough Milk
Well, how would you know whether your baby is getting enough milk or not? When you breastfeed, it is not possible for mothers to keep track of the quantity of milk consumed by the baby. So, look for the following signs to know that your baby isn’t getting enough milk-
- Your baby is constantly hungry and wants to be fed more often.
- Baby is not urinating more often, which is necessary.
- Your baby is not putting up enough weight.
- Baby keeps waking up in night.
- Breasts feel softer than they were in the early week.
- You can’t pump much milk.
- Your baby is still hungry, even after breastfeeding.
If you find the above symptoms in your baby, that means your baby is hungry and is not getting enough milk.
How to Increase Breastmilk Supply Instantly
1. Evaluate Baby’s Latch-
Many times it happens that the baby does not latch up properly. Poor latching also leads to breast engorgement and eventually a low milk supply. Having proper latching ensures a good milk supply and it helps to stimulate your body to produce more.
2. Continue to Breastfeed-
Though if you feel that you are not able to breastfeed your baby. Continue with breastfeeding only. Keep breastfeeding until your baby decides that they are full. If while feeding your baby sleeps, wake them up. This way they will drink properly and your supply will also be maintained.
3. Pump In between Feedings-
If your baby is taking a longer gap between feeds, it is a good option to pump your breastmilk. Also, you can pump after feeding, because the newborn baby does not drink that much milk. And the breastmilk works only on demand and supply rule. The more milk you release, the more will be the production.
4. Stimulate your Breasts-
Massaging your breasts every time before feeding, will help in good blood circulation and will increase the milk supply. You can also try using a breast pump, this will help to remove more breast milk and the supply will increase.
5. Breastfeed Longer-
I know this is easier said than done, but the more you breastfeed, the more will be the milk supply. A newborn baby takes time to breastfeed, so be patient and keep up the good latching. It will be beneficial for both you and your baby.
6. Use both the Breasts to Feed-
Many moms forget this point when they breastfeed. You get comfortable with any one of your breasts and keep feeding on that one. But it will be a good habit if you breastfeed from both breasts, this will help in the stronger supply of breast milk. The best thing to do is, empty your one breast completely and then switch to other breasts. This way you can have a track record and both the breast will have a good milk supply.
7. Have skin-to-skin contact-
This method works like a miracle. Skin-to-skin contact has many advantages both for mother and baby. Baby gets the warmth and love of their parents and baby-mother or baby-father bond becomes strong. Make sure, your child is only wearing diapers when you are having skin-to-skin contact. It helps to lower the baby’s stress, improve breathing, and also help to increase your breast milk supply.
Food to increase Breast Milk in One Day
- Barley- You know Barley is the component of beer, which actually is lactogenic. It is one of the richest dietary source of beta-glucan, a polysaccharide which helps to increase prolactin. Barley is beneficial for both humans and mammals.
You can add Barley to soup, stews, and salad too.
- Fennel and Fenugreek seeds- Not many know that fennel is helpful to increase your breast milk supply. It is a vegetable with white, sweet flavour. Fennel called as Saunf is generally eaten after meals, you can also eat it raw or can roast it with olive oil too.
Fenugreek is a herb, found in North America. It can be used Therapeutic and also to increase Breast Milk supply. It is even good for people dealing with heart disease, diabetes, and any allergies.
- Oats- Oats is a very healthy food which helps to increase the breast milk supply. It has higher concentration of dietary beta- glucan than any other food. Oats are very easy to cook, you can add some dried nuts or fruits in it, to make it tasty.
- Green Leafy Vegetable- Well, what qualities does green leaf vegetable does not have. They are a rich source of vitamins, iron, calcium and folate which helps to keep you healthy and also increase your breastmilk supply. Green leafy vegetable like spinach, fenugreek leaves (methi), mustard green (sarson ka saag) and lamb’s quarter (bathua) are good for your health and you should include them in your diet.
- Sesame seeds- Also known as Til. Sesame seeds are a non-dairy product which are rich in calcium. Calcium is an important nutrient when it comes to Breastmilk. These seeds are good for your as well as your baby’s health.
You can have Til Ke Ladoos and can also add Sesame seeds in many food items.
- Pulses- Pulses like masoor dal or red lentils are a rich source of protein, iron and fiber which helps to increase the breastmilk supply.
- Nuts and Dried fruits- Nuts like Almonds and Cashew are considered to boost breastmilk. They are rich in minerals, vitamins and calories and helps to provide energy and nutrients. Dried fruits and nuts make a perfect snack which are very easily available too.
Bonus Point to Keep the Milk Supply Good
Apart from the above tips and points, some other things which you can do to increase the Breast milk supply are-
- Be patient while feeding your baby. They take time to feed.
- It is necessary that you are happy, stress affects your milk supply.
- Keep your body hydrated.
- Try to meditate to calm your body and your mind.
- When you feel, you can’t breastfeed. Go for pumping, so that milk supply does not go down.
Conclusion on How to Increase Breastmilk Supply
So, above are some methods for How to increase breastmilk supply. A low milk supply can bother any new mom. Well, just believe us that you are not alone in this, it is a common problem and with the simple above remedy, you can increase your milk supply.
You can also increase the foods that promote milk production. Remember one thing you are doing good, just be patient. It’s just a phase everything will be on track soon.
Have you ever faced the Low Milk Supply problem?
- How to Tighten Loose Skin On Stomach After Pregnancy
- Can New Born Drink Water?
- How much Newborn Sleep
- How to Calm a Crying Baby?