Congratulations! on your little one. Your little bundle of joy is here and you wish to do everything right for him. But since you are also first-time parents, you too need to gain some experience in handling your baby’s things. Now, what do you think is the most important thing to remember when diapering a newborn. Well, of course, the diaper quality and size matters. But there are many other things which you need to keep in mind while diapering your baby.
A newborn diaper change frequency is very much and it is very necessary that you get it right every time, to avoid the after mess. So, let’s see what are the tips to take care of when diapering your newborn baby.
Check out the blog-
Things to Consider when Buying Diaper
Picking up a diaper is the most confusing thing you do. You may get distracted or tempted by any of the fancy diaper ads. But let’s be practical and consider following things before buying diapers-
The first and most important thing to keep in mind. A brand is set due to its quality and its long-term business in the same area. These companies are experts and have done a lot of research just to make a good diaper.
2. Type of Diaper-
These days there are a lot of diapers available with different features. You can choose the best one according to your needs-
Cloth diapers- They are very comfortable and sensitive to a newborn’s skin. Just the problem with them is they require constant changing and washing.
Disposable diapers- They are convenient, as you do not have to wash them you can just throw them away when they get soiled. There are many brands from which you can choose now.
Reusable diapers- You may find them a little expensive, but they are durable and lasts long. The high-quality material used in the diaper makes sure they do not disintegrate. You just have to wash them regularly to keep up the hygiene.
Unfolded diapers- These diapers have to be folded manually in the form of diapers. You can find pre-existing creases in it, you just have to fold them into the desired shape.
3. Diaper Features-
You need to look out for some of the diaper features which will make it useful.
- Absorbent quality- Well, what’s a diaper without a good absorbent quality feature. There are many diapers which become saggy or start leaking when it absorbs a lot of pee or poo.
- Wetness Indicator- It is one difficult task of how to tell if a baby needs a diaper change? These days’ good brands like Huggies have come with a Wetness Indicator line, which turns from white to yellow when the diaper is full. This amazing feature has helped parents to understand when to change a baby’s diaper.
- The softness of Diaper- Baby’s skin is very sensitive and delicate, therefore, the softness of diapers is very necessary. Make sure the diaper’s material is made up of soft and breathable material.
- Good Fit- A diaper’s good fit is necessary so that there is no leakage. Also, the diaper should be stretchable.
4. Baby Size-
Diaper size works differently for every baby as it depends on their weight. So, before buying a diaper make sure you have weighed your baby properly. And also, in just a few months your baby will grow, so do not stock up on the diapers.
5. Skin Sensitivity-
It is possible that your baby’s skin is sensitive to diapers. So, make sure the diapers do not give your baby rash.
There are many diapers that are not very convenient and become a challenge to parents. Therefore, before buying diapers lookout for the convenience of diapers too.
Important Tips for Diapering Newborn
Some tips to take care of while diapering newborns are as follows-
- Always wash your hands before and after you change diaper.
- Put your baby on a flat surface or changing table with side rails.
- Always keep one hand on your baby to be careful.
- Babies keep moving here and there, so make sure there are no pointed objects kept near baby.
- Always clean private area of baby with unscented product.
- Do not use powder or corn starch.
How To Change Baby Girl Diapers?
There are some things to take care of when you are diapering your baby girl-
- Always wipe your girl’s private area front to back, so that there are no germs in that area and it is clean and dry.
- Do not put wipes inside the vagina of your baby girl to clean. Just gently clean outer folds of labia.
How to clean baby boy during a diaper change?
The main problem with baby boy diapering is positioning the penis properly.
- Do not pull the foreskin back whenever you are cleaning the penis. Always wash the area properly from front to back.
- When you secure the diaper, ensure your baby’s penis is pointed downwards so that there is no pee streaming up.
How To Avoid Diaper Rash Problem
Diaper rash is a very common problem which newborn has to deal with as their skin is very sensitive and is still adapting to the outside world environment. Following are the ways in which you can take care of the Diaper rash problem of your baby-
- Changes diapers often. Do not keep one diaper for 5-6 hours long.
- While changing diaper, properly clean the area and also make sure it is dry.
- Do not use soap.
- Avoid using airtight plastic pants when you have put diaper on your baby.
- You can switch to cloth diapers, if you feel disposable diapers are creating rash.
- Remove diaper and let the area breathe for 10-15 minutes in natural air. Do this 3-4 times a day.
- Apply anti-rash cream or ointment, to keep skin hydrated and nourished.
Diaper Changing Bonus Tips
Apart from the above techniques, there are some tips which you should follow while diapering a newborn-
- Do test your diapers, before you buy a lot of them.
- Keep changing your baby’s diaper often.
- Do not stock up diapers of only one size.
- It is good to use unscented baby products.
- Do not put diaper until your baby is fully cleaned and dry.
- You can use diaper time to bond with your baby by singing song and talking to baby.
- It is possible that diaper smells, so to avoid any gag reflexes you can either cover your mouth or can apply a little of vicks vaporub on your upper lips.
- There will be time when you won’t have a proper changing table to change the diaper, that is your test time. At that time, you can use your car’s trunk to change the diaper.
- Always be prepared for diaper change. Never panic about it.
So, above are some of the Important things to remember when diapering a newborn. You may find it difficult in starting, but slowly you will get used to it and will become a pro in changing a baby’s diaper.
Can you tell us any other problem with diaper changes for newborns?
1. How many diapers does a new-born use a day?
Well, casually newborns aged 0-3 months use around 8-10 diapers in a day. So, keep a check on your baby’s diaper changing frequency, to know your baby is doing well.
- 15 Amazing tips to get prepared for Fatherhood
- 13 Things No One Tells You About Giving Birth
- How to Stop Hiccups in New Born Baby?
- How to Prepare yourself and your family for your Second Child