As a woman, at some point of time, we all want to hold the little bundle of joy in our arms. Yes, many women dream of having a kid, and when this dream is at its peak, no women like to hear something that can affect her chances of getting pregnant. An ovarian cyst is a very common woman problem, through which almost every woman passes through. Now, you might be thinking that Do ovary cyst decreases my chances of getting pregnant? Well, let’s find it out in the blog.
Ovaries play an important role in a women’s life. And every woman tries to keep the ovaries as healthy as possible. But sometimes a cyst gets formed. Now, there are many types of cysts some are harmless, while some can create problem in women pregnancy and fertility. You can know about the Ovarian Cyst during routine pelvic examination or ultrasound.
Keep reading to understand more about Ovarian Cyst-
What is Ovarian Cyst?
These days’ ovarian cyst is a very common problem. Ovarian cyst as the name tells us that it is a cyst formed in Ovary. This cyst mainly occurs during the time of ovulation now, in most cases, it either gets absorbed or breaks down. Sometimes, this cyst remains and starts getting bigger, this is when the problem begins. In an Ovarian cyst, the space between your uterus gets filled with liquid substance and it can lead to problems like bloating or pain.
Symptoms of Having an Ovarian Cyst
In many cases, women don’t even know that they are suffering from Ovarian Cyst. But if the cyst has grown very large, or gets ruptured then the following are some of the symptoms which you can experience-
- You may suffer from indigestion.
- Feeling of being bloated or overly full.
- You will be excessively tired.
- There can be a change in your menstrual cycle like you can notice irregular, lighter or heavier flow.
- You may find it difficult to empty your stomach.
- A sudden and frequent urge to urinate.
Does Ovarian Cyst affect my chances of getting Pregnant?
There are many types of Ovarian cyst, some can harm your fertility while some are harmless. Let’s understand them in detail.
In this case, a Cyst is caused by Endometriosis, a condition in which tissue lining your uterus starts growing outside the uterus. This type of cyst creates a problem in your fertility.
2. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)-
You must have heard about this Cyst as it is very common. In PCOS, small types of cysts are formed in your ovaries. PCOS causes irregular periods and also an increase in certain hormones. Since your periods become irregular, so is your ovulation and this causes problem in the fertility.
3. Functional Cysts-
Also known as Follicular cyst or Corpus luteum cysts, this is one of the most common type of Ovarian cyst. Functional cyst is formed during menstrual cycle and that is the reason, it does not contribute in the infertility.
Another Cyst which does not create a problem in your fertility or for pregnancy. This cyst means growth in the ovary that arise from the surface of ovaries. You may require to treat it, but it is completely harmless.
5. Dermoid Cysts-
This is one unusual kind of Cyst. In all the above cyst, liquid gets accumulated in the sac. But in this cyst, you can find skin, hair and even teeth. Well, then also Dermoid Cyst won’t affect your fertility.
How to Diagnosis an Ovarian Cyst?
Following are the ways through which you can diagnose the Cyst in your Ovary.
- Ultrasound- This uses a high frequency sound waves, which gives you the clear picture of your internal organs.
- CT Scan- This gives the cross- sectional image of your internal organs.
- MRI- MRI uses Magnetic field to give the in-depth visual of your internal organs.
Ovarian Cyst Treatment
Most ovarian cyst disappears on their own. They do not need treatment. While some of the Cyst gets ruptured and may need treatment. Following are the three ways through which you can treat Ovarian Cyst-
- Doctor’s prescribed medicines
- Surgery. If your cyst is small, then doctors will go for Laparoscopic. For larger cyst, regular abdominal surgery is necessary.
How to Increase my Chances of Getting Pregnant Naturally?
By doing following things, you can increase your chances of getting pregnant naturally-
- Have a healthy and balanced diet.
- Regular workout for 3-5 days a week.
- No stress, stay calm and peaceful.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Take folic acid supplement daily.
- Have a proper uninterrupted sleep of 7 hours.
So, above are some of the facts regarding Ovarian cyst. Since the symptoms, of the ovarian cyst, is not usually noticeable, therefore the detection of the cyst is also late. Always keep a check on the irregularity of your periods and if you feel pain in your lower abdomen. PCOS can affect or delay your chance of having your baby.