We all love to travel and during pregnancy, we like to get out and get some fresh air. But have you thought about Motion sickness during pregnancy? Dizziness, nausea and vomiting are some of the common symptoms of motion sickness. Not all pregnant women experience this, but many do and that does make travelling difficult. Some women experience motion sickness only during pregnancy, but for some women, it gets aggravated during pregnancy. During pregnancy, women become more prone to motion sickness as the hormones get changed.
TheBlessedMom, has brought to you a detailed blog related to motion sickness during pregnancy. We have covered for you the symptoms, causes and remedies of motion sickness.
Check out the blog-
What is Motion Sickness
Motion sickness means a feeling of nausea, vomiting and dizziness while travelling. Many women have motion sickness in general, and during pregnancy, this gets aggravated sometimes. Motion sickness is also known as seasickness, travel sickness or car sickness etc.
What is the reason of Motion Sickness?
Motion sickness is a normal problem faced during pregnancy. But there are some factors which can aggravate the motion sickness.
- When you eat heavy before the travel. The up and down motion of the body can interfere the digestion and lead to motion sickness.
- If you are travelling constantly at a slow speed, then the inner balance of your ear may get disrupted making you feel uncomfortable and causing motion sickness.
- When the area you pass by is smoky or polluted, then you may feel nauseous.
- During pregnancy, your nose becomes sensitive. So, a particular type of food or smell can trigger the motion sickness.
- The most common reason for the motion sickness during pregnancy is the different signals which the brain receives. Means a disparity between the actual and expected motion and that disrupts the balance sensing system.
Factors that increase the chances of Motion Sickness
After understanding the reason of motion sickness, lets understand what are the factors that increases the chances of motion sickness.
- Not getting proper air while travelling
- Amusement rides
- Reading while travelling
- Travelling in smoky regions
- Virtual reality experience
- Mother is pregnant with more than one baby
- If before pregnancy, women have experienced nausea, vomiting from motion sickness, migraines or birth control pills.
Symptoms of Motion Sickness during Pregnancy
Pregnant women suffering from motion sickness, may have following symptoms-
- Loss of appetite
- Warm sensation
- Excessive salivation
- Increased sensitivity to odors
- Rapid breathing
How is Motion Sickness treated?
After understanding the symptoms of motion sickness, we need to understand how to treat it-
- Try to get as much as rest as possible. Tiredness can make nausea worse, so it is necessary to take plenty of rest.
- Do not stop your fluid intake till the time you are travelling. Sip in small quantities, this will help to reduce vomiting and nausea feeling. You can also try sucking water ice cubes.
- A Vitamin B6 supplement tends to decrease the motion sickness feeling.
- Do not travel empty stomach, it will aggravate the morning sickness.
- Try taking Ginger supplement, it is proven that it helps to reduce the nausea symptoms during pregnancy.
- There are some Acupressure bracelets like Sea-Bands and Bio Bands, they put pressure on certain points and spots on your wrist which helps to lessen the nausea symptoms.
- If nothing of the above works for you, then you can try taking the medicines like Diclegis, it is an FDA approved medicine for Pregnant women and is proven 70% effective.
- You can also take antihistamines half an hour before you have to travel.
Bonus tips to deal with Motion Sickness
We have shortlisted some simple measures that can help you to deal with the motion sickness.
- Close your eyes and try to take a nap. Take deep breaths.
- Focus on any stable object or look outside the window.
- Breathe in the fresh air.
- You can press the Acupressure points on the anterior wrist to help ease nausea.
- Avoid heavy meals before travelling
- Keep sipping fluids throughout the journey. Don’t keep yourself dehydrated.
- Avoid smells that give you a nausea feeling.
- Try to avoid talking while travelling.
- Do not read while travelling.
- Sit in a position such that your eyes see what is felt by your body and inner ears.
- If travelling by car, sit in the front seat.
So, these are some of the ways to deal with motion sickness. If still you feel, that travelling doesn’t suit you much and you have to travel, try consulting to doctor.
1. Does motion sickness means you are pregnant?
No, motion sickness doesn’t mean that you are pregnant. It is no sign of early pregnancy.
2. How long does motion sickness lasts during pregnancy?
Motion sickness symptoms go away when the motion ceases. But sometimes, it may happen that it can last for a few hours or even a few days.
- What Precautions to take after C-Section
- How to Lose Baby Weight After Pregnancy Naturally?
- Benefits Of Walking During Pregnancy Tips, and Precautions
- 6 Skin Changes During Pregnancy And Prevention Tips
- How can I prevent my armpits from getting dark during pregnancy?