For every parent, baby’s health, baby’s skin is of topmost priority. Since motherhood and parenthood are a whole new phase, you need to be very cautious about the baby. From choosing diapers to skincare products, you need to be very careful so that it does not cause any reaction to your baby. Dry skin is one issue, which every parent deals with. Therefore, we have brought home remedies for baby dry skin.
The Winter season is very hard to deal with, as it makes the baby’s skin dry and also brings other issues like cough and cold. As a baby’s skin is very sensitive, you cannot apply lots of skincare products to them. That’s when home remedies become the best solution, as they are easy to use and are also organic.
Check out the blog for some of the amazing Home Remedies for Baby Dry Skin in winter.
What are the causes of Dry Skin?
Before we head on to home remedies to get rid of the baby’s dry skin. Let’s understand the causes of dry skin-
- Babies when they are in their mother’s womb, are covered in vernix which is a thick coating, this coating protects the baby’s skin from the amniotic fluid. After birth, the nurse wipes this vernix off the baby, which results in flaking or peeling.
- If the place you live in is too cold, hot, or dry. It can affect your baby’s skin making it dry. It takes away moisture from the baby’s skin, making it dull and dry.
- Bathing your baby too frequently also rips out the moisture from the skin. Therefore, make sure the baby’s skin is well hydrated and moisturized.
How to get rid of my Baby’s Dry Skin?
1. Natural Bath Oils-
Using oil is the best way to keep a baby’s skin moisturized. Natural bath oils get absorbed fastly and easily in the skin and protect from ripping off moisture. Whenever, your baby takes a bath, put 1 tbsp. of coconut or sunflower oil in the lukewarm water. This will ensure that babies are not dried and will keep them nourished.
2. Almond Oil For Dry Skin-
Almond oil is very effective. Loaded with Vitamin E, it helps to soothe irritated skin and reduces skin dryness. Almond oil is also rich in antioxidants and fatty acids; both these nutrients help to retain the skin’s moisture. The oil helps to treat dry skin conditions and makes it soft and smooth.
3. Aloe Vera Gel-
Aloe vera gel is one amazing home remedy and is helpful for both babies and adults. Rich in anti-fungal and antibacterial properties, Aloe Vera Gel makes up for a perfect moisturizer and a great cooling agent.
- Take a fresh-cut aloe vera leaf.
- Peel it and squeeze the gel out of it.
- Apply the gel on the dry area of the skin.
Leave it for 10 minutes and then wash it off.
4. Breast Milk-
Many of you might find it a little strange. But breast milk is filled with nutrients and is one of the purest forms of home remedies. It helps to increase immunity in the baby and also cures skin dryness. Read about how to increase breastmilk
- Just take a few drops of Breast milk and apply it to the dry patch of the skin.
- Let it stay for a few minutes.
- It’s up to you whether you wish to wash it or not.
Breastmilk is also very effective in curing the following things-
- Cough and cold
5. Avocado Paste-
Avocado is a power-packed fruit loaded with amazing nutrients. It has many potential health benefits and is also helpful for babies. You can also use Avocado oil instead of paste.
- Take one ripe Avocado
- Mash it and apply it on the baby’s dry skin.
- Let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Wash off the paste.
Oats are helpful and effective for both our health and our skin. It is one of the safe home remedies, which helps to get rid of dry skin in newborns. It is rich in anti-inflammatory properties and contains saponins, which is a mild cleansing agent. Oats helps to remove dead skin cells and exfoliate the skin, making it soft and smooth.
- Take 1-2 tbsp. of Oats and make a fine paste of it.
- Add this powder into the baby’s lukewarm bathing water.
- You can also add few drops of Olive oil.
- Let your baby be soaked in this water for 15-20 minutes.
- Take out the baby and pat dry the skin.
- Be very cautious, as oats are slippery in nature.
7. Petroleum Jelly-
Petroleum jelly is rich in nutrients like mineral oil, which covers the skin in a protective layer. It forms a barrier on the skin, which traps the moisture and keeps the skin nourished.
Applying petroleum jelly on the baby’s skin helps to keep it nourished and moisturized.
8. Use a Humidifier-
A humidifier helps to prevent dryness in the air. If the environment you live in is too dry, then it will strip out the oil and moisturizer from your baby’s skin. Therefore, keeping a humidifier in your baby’s room will be a good option.
Natural Treatment for Baby’s Dry Skin
Apart from the above home remedies, some of the tips which can prevent a baby’s dry skin are-
- Do not bathe your baby too frequently. 3 baths a week is more than enough.
- Massage your little one with baby oil, this helps in the child’s development and also keeps skin moisturized.
- Whenever you bathe baby, always use lukewarm water.
- Do not use adult soap, for bathing. Baby products are soft and gentle and does not rip out the skin’s moisture.
- Let your baby play in clean, soapy water. This is less drying and will let your baby enjoy it too.
- Never rub your baby’s skin, instead just pat dry it.
- Keep a check on baby’s laundry detergent, it should not be harsh.
Conclusion on Home Remedies for Baby Dry Skin
So, above are some of the ways and home remedies through which you can treat your baby’s dry skin. The above home remedies are fairly simple and easy to use. Just make sure your baby is not allergic to any of the above remedies.
How do you take care of your baby’s dry skin?
- How to Tighten Loose Skin On Stomach After Pregnancy
- Can New Born Drink Water?
- How much Newborn Sleep
- How to Calm a Crying Baby?
- Breastfeeding Tips & Complete Guideline For New Moms
- How to Increase New-born Baby Weight?