Hair fall is a common problem, which we women deal with every day. But hair fall during pregnancy is something different. Whatever happens to our hair and skin before pregnancy, we take it as normal, but if that happens during pregnancy we get little conscious. As pregnancy is a very delicate topic for us. We take the utmost care of our bodies while being pregnant. Taking care of our body and our baby is our topmost priority.
Hair fall during the early stages of pregnancy is common as our body is adjusting to the new phase. But how to treat it and what precautions to take during pregnancy. All your questions are being answered in this blog.
Check out the blog-
Pregnancy and Hair Loss
Hair loss or hair growth and Pregnancy has a good connection. During pregnancy, hair loss is common but only in the starting phase, once your body has adapted the change, your hair starts becoming thick during pregnancy. A hair after it is grown has a resting phase of 2-3 months before new hair pushes it to fall.
During pregnancy, estrogen hormone gets increased, which increases the resting phase of the hair, and hence our hair becomes thicker. After delivery, this hormone comes to a normal level, which increases our hair loss. So, hair loss is common during pregnancy but it is less as compared to hair loss after delivery.
What causes hair loss during Pregnancy?
After understanding, the connection between hair loss and pregnancy. We should know, what exactly are the reason for hair loss during pregnancy.
- Hormonal Shift– One of the most common reasons. As a pregnancy, it brings a lot of hormonal changes with it, it interferes with the health of hair and also hair growth cycle. This results in hair loss. But after a few months of pregnancy, when your body has adapted the change hair loss stops.
- Reproductive Causes– If you have been taking birth control pills or any birth control methods, now the discontinuation of those results in excessive hair loss.
- Postpartum Hair Loss– Postpartum hair loss means hair loss after delivery. Many women experience this, a few months of delivery you will see excessive hair shedding. This happens because the estrogen level drops off.
- Poor Nutrition– When you are pregnant, the first thing which starts is the morning sickness. During pregnancy, our body requires a lot of nutrition, but due to food aversions, we skip on many important nutrients. This results in poor nutrition, hence hair loss.
- Genetics– You know you are related to your mother. So, if she has faced hair loss during pregnancy, chances are you may experience hair fall during summer.
- Thyroid Deficiency– During pregnancy, you face many other problems. One of them is thyroid. Hypothyroidism is responsible for the thyroid level in our body. It helps to maintain metabolism, mental health, and also hair health. The deficiency of thyroid leads to hair loss.
Ways to Control Hair Fall During Pregnancy?
1. Oil your Scalp-
Just like moisturizer is necessary for our skin, similarly, oiling is necessary for our hair. Oiling helps to moisturize and hydrate the hair, it removes the dryness from the scalp and nourishes it. Mix almond oil, coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, and warm them a little, before massaging.
2. Avoid Heat Styling-
Try maintaining a normal hairstyle, using too many hair products or heat styling products may damage the hair cuticles, thereby resulting in hair loss.
3. Maintain a Healthy Diet-
Food plays a very important role in well being of our health. It is just that we have a proper healthy nutritious diet, in order to stay healthy and fit. Increase the intake of vegetables and fruits which are high in antioxidants and flavonoids.
4. Try Meditation-
Meditation helps in reducing stress and makes us calm. Stress always tops the reasons chart for hair fall. Pregnant women often take stress regarding their pregnancy, and their future life this accounts for hair fall. So deal with this situation, you should start meditating.
Try and focus on good things in your life, listen to songs which make you happy. Just breathe and relax, and let go of any stress.
5. Don’t Wet Comb-
Hair is weakest when they are wet. Many women, try to untangle their hair as soon as they wash it. This makes it weaker and results in hair loss. Therefore, untangle your hair when you apply conditioner. Avoid wet combing your hair.
Home Remedies to Treat Hair Fall In Pregnancy
If you prefer home remedies just like me, then I have got some simple home remedies for you, which help you with the hair loss and also maintaining hair health.
1. Aloe vera gel-
Aloe vera is very helpful in maintaining the health of our hair. It hydrates and nourishes them and also cure the dryness of the scalp.
Just apply some fresh cut aloe vera gel on your scalp and head and leave it for 20-30 min.
This is the time to apply the Dadi ma ka Nuskha. We have always heard that how effective Amla is for our hair. It is a very powerful hair tonic. It makes our hair softer and shinier. Amla contains high iron and carotene content which helps in hair growth.
You can either drink amla juice or eat amla. You can also massage your scalp with amla oil.
3. Neem leaves-
Neem has many medicinal properties. It is a great and effective herb to cure the hair loss problem. Neem is rich in antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. It removes any kind of infection and promotes hair growth.
- Take some Neem leaves and prepare a paste of it.
- Apply the paste on your scalp and leave it for half an hour.
- Wash it with plain water.
4. Curry Leaves-
Curry leaves or Kadi Patta are rich in amino acids, essential nutrients, and also antioxidants. They help to reduce hair loss and enhances hair growth. They also help to darken the grey hair and makes them soft and shiny.
- Take coconut oil and some curry leaves.
- Boil them in the oil for 15 minutes.
- Let them cool down.
- You can strain the oil and use it to massage your scalp three times a week.
5. Fenugreek seeds-
Fenugreek or methi seeds are very easily found in the kitchen. They are very effective in treating the hair fall and making hair soft and smooth. Fenugreek is high in protein, which helps to solve various problems like baldness, hair thinning, and dryness of hair.
- Take around 2-4 tbsp. of fenugreek seeds and soak them overnight.
- Next morning make a paste of it by grinding it and apply it on your hair and scalp.
- Leave it for around one hour and then wash it off with plain water.
6. Egg, yogurt, and olive oil-
This is a great hair mask, to promote healthy hair growth and to make hair soft and shiny. The egg helps to promote the hair growth, Yogurt contains lactic acid which helps to hydrate the hair and Olive oil nourishes hair and scalp.
- Take one egg white and whisk it properly.
- Add 1 tbsp. of yogurt and 1 tsp. of olive oil in it.
- Mix them properly and apply it on your hair and scalp.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and wash it with cold water.
7. Kalonji and aloe vera-
Kalonji or Onion seeds, are very effective to reduce the hair loss and promote hair growth. The mixture of kalonji and aloe vera makes your hair soft, smooth, and shiny.
- Take 2 tbsp. of Kalonji powder,
- Mix it with aloe vera gel to make a paste.
- Apply the paste on your hair and scalp and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it with normal water.
Tips and Tricks to take care of hair during Pregnancy
Apart from the above methods, there are some tips and precautions which you can take to look after your hair during and after pregnancy.
- Use shampoo and conditioner made off biotin and silica
- Hair is very delicate, so avoid wet combing your hair.
- Enrich your diet with supplements like Vitamin B complex, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Biotin, and Zinc.
- Protect your hair and scalp from direct sunlight
- Trim your hair to avoid split ends
- Increase your intake of vegetables and fruits
- Check if your thyroid level is normal.
Hair fall is a natural occurrence that happens whenever there is a change in hormones. During and After pregnancy, hair fall increases but it is normal. With proper care of them, you can avoid hair loss to a great extent. So take care of your hair and enjoy the new phase!
Can we say that hair loss means pregnancy?
No, Not at all. Hair loss is one of the symptoms of pregnancy. Not all women face it and also there are many reasons for hair loss.