Congratulations! You have successfully completed your first trimester. Now, that morning sickness will lessen and you can enjoy your pregnancy phase more properly. The excitement to enter the second trimester is great. As of now, you can eat more properly, and also can focus on your health. Yes, being active is very necessary for your pregnancy, it increases your chance of normal delivery and also keeps you fit and healthy. We have brought to you 7 Easy and Safe Exercises to do in the Second Trimester.
Second trimester take toll on your health, your baby bump has started to come into notice. And you feel tired most of the time. Giving yourself a small workout session will you’re your mood good and also reduce your pain.
Check out the blog to know about exericses-
Benefits of Exercising
Well, if you are thinking why do you need to do exercise in your second trimester. Following are the reasons. Exercising can lead to lower chances of-
- Preterm birth
- Cesarean birth
- Lower birth weight
- Excessive weight gain
Exercising helps to-
- Keep you physically fit
- Reduces lower back pain
- Reduces stress
- Keeps your baby healthy
- Improves postpartum recovery
7 Safe and Effective Exercises in Second Trimester
Walking is the best exercise before pregnancy, during pregnancy and after pregnancy. You can do this on daily basis, and will feel a great change in your health. Wear loose clothing and a good pair of shoes. You do not have to walk fast, just a simple leisure walk in the park will do.
Have a relaxing walk for 30-40 minutes, it will ensure that your heart is healthy.
2. Slow Jogging-
If before pregnancy, you used to jog or go for running, then you can continue it in your second trimester.
- In your second trimester, you can go light jogging.
- Do not overexert yourself, as your uterus is getting large and it can shift the centre of gravity.
- Always go jogging on a flat surface.
- If you feel tired, sit down immediately and relax for a while.
Yoga is something which you can do in all three trimesters. It helps you to stay fit and healthy. Yoga calms your anxiety and improves your mental and emotional health. It is one of the most recommended exercise to improve body flexibility.
If you are new to yoga, start with breathing exercise like Pranayama, this does not put any strain and helps you to stay fit. Avoid poses like the Warrior pose, Tree pose which involves balancing.
Always be gentle on yoga, it helps to stretch muscle and reduce pregnancy pains of lower back and also keep blood pressure stabilized.
Swimming helps to tone your overall body. It helps you to relax your muscles and also calms you. Swimming does not put any exertion on the abdomen and helps to keep you healthy and fit. You can swim for 30 minutes in your second trimester. One of the safe exercise to do in the second trimester.
Well, you cannot go for the actual cycling. So, try cycling on a stationary bike, it helps to improve your muscle strength. In your second trimester, your belly also grows so you cannot put a lot of stress on your abdomen. Therefore, sitting on the bike and cycling, won’t make you uncomfortable.
They are the best exercise whether you are pregnant or not. Squats helps to improve the strength of leg muscle, which you will need as you proceed in the pregnancy. But if your pregnancy is high risk or if there are any complications, do not perform this exercise.
- Stretch your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Bring your hands in front of you at shoulder level.
- Squat down by bending your knees at a 90-degree angle.
- Hold the position for 2-3 seconds.
- Repeat this exercise as many times as you can.
7. Weight Training-
For weight training exercise, try to do it with a water bottle or any lightweight object. Just hold the object in your hand, and pull it up. If you feel dizzy or uneasy, stop the exercise immediately.
- Bring your left leg forward and bend it little
- Lower your upper body and bend it slightly towards the left knee.
- Your left arm rest on your left knee for support.
- Keep your right arm straight down.
- Hold the weight in your right arm.
- Pull the right hand towards you such that the right elbow points towards the ceiling.
- Repeat it a few times.
Tips for Exercising in Second Trimester
Some of the tips to keep in mind while exercising are as follows-
- Wear loose, comfortable, cotton t-shirt.
- No matter you are walking or jogging, having a comfortable and perfect shoes is very important. Get a good shoe with good grip.
- If you feel you are tired, take rest in between for 30 minutes or an hour.
- Always be hydrated, keep your sipper near you, so that, as soon as you feel thirsty you can have a sip.
- Munch on healthy snacks after exercising.
So, above are some of the exercises which you can try to perform in second trimester. Always make sure, that there is someone with you to help you and guide you. Whenever you feel tired, just stop and rest. Always listen to the body warning signs, and do not over exert yourself.
How do you take care of yourself in second trimester?
- 10 Postnatal Exercises to get back in shape after Pregnancy
- 17 Safe Yoga Poses For Fertility Booster To Conceive Fast
- How to Control the Weight during Pregnancy
- Things to do before IVF