Pregnancy is one amazing phase, which brings lot of change in our body. We have always heard about the Pregnancy Glow, but have you ever heard about Pregnancy Dry Skin? Yes, Pregnancy may dry your skin. Every pregnancy is different even the symptoms are different. But dry skin is something which many women have to deal with. Do not worry, TheBlessedMom, will help you to know How to deal with Dry skin during Pregnancy?
This is true that dry skin makes us feel like Tad reptilian. Well, all you need to do to get that amazing soft and smooth skin is to moisturize your skin. But apart from moisturization, there are many other things which you need to take care off.
So, lets understand in detail the causes of dry skin and how to deal with them. Check out the blog-
Is it Normal to have Dry Skin during Pregnancy?
Around 90% of the woman who is pregnant, experience skin dryness. Some of them already have pre-existing skin issues, while some woman develops it during pregnancy. During pregnancy, your skin stretches, you go through a lot of hormonal changes and also due to lack of water you can experience skin dryness.
You do not need to worry about the skin dryness, as after delivery it tends to go. But you should be aware of the causes of dry skin, so that one can take care of it.
You may feel your skin stretching around second trimester, which will be with you till delivery. As the pregnancy proceeds, you may feel your skin dry on arms, abdomen, breasts, necks and thighs.
What Causes Dry Skin?
That little one in your womb causes a great change in your physical health. Some of the common reasons of Dry Skin are-
- As you are pregnant your body requires more fluid than usual, in order to improve blood volume and oxygen level. Lack of water during pregnancy causes dry skin.
- If during pregnancy, you have to go through summer season, then changes in Temperature and Humidity may result in skin dryness.
- When your pregnancy proceeds, the skin stretches a lot making the skin dry. Stretching of skin can lead to flaking and itching.
- Deficiency of Vitamin A also adds up in skin dryness and flaking.
- Excessive cleaning and washing up of the skin could weaken the barrier and dry your skin. So, again and again washing of face should be avoided.
- Fluctuating hormones are also the cause of Dry skin during pregnancy. The weakening of hydrolipdic barrier may cause water evaporation from the skin, resulting in dryness.
How to Prevent Skin Dryness?
Some of the ways through which you can tackle the dryness of the skin are-
- Never use extreme cold or hot water, both of them tend to rip out the natural moisture from the skin. Always clean yourself with the help of lukewarm water.
- Keep yourself hydrated, by consuming liquid and drinking water.
- Keep your skin moisturized. Applying a lot of moisturizer on the skin helps to prevent the dryness of the skin.
- Try adding some essential oils in your bathing water, it helps to relieve dryness of the skin.
- Whenever you go out, cover your skin and apply herbal sunscreen to protect the loss of moisture.
- Include nutritious food in your diet such as avocado, healthy nuts, canola oil, green leafy vegetable.
- Keep your skin clean, by using herbal cleanser.
- Do not use chemical soaps, it can make your skin dry and flaky.
- Avoid the steaming technique, it takes away all the natural oil from the skin.
- Whenever our skin feels itchy, do not scratch it, instead apply lot of moisturizer.
- Stay away from caffeinated drinks such as tea, coffee and soda. They dehydrate the skin more.
- Always use a water protectant cream, if swimming is in your habit. Chlorinated water tends to damage the skin more.
- Do not rub your skin harshly, just pat dry.
- Use a humidifier in the room, if the place you live in lacks natural moisture.
So, above are some of the ways in which you can take care of the skin dryness during pregnancy. Make sure you do not take the skin dryness for granted, as it may lead to Eczema, Prurigo and other skin problem. Dry skin does not harm the baby, but it can harm you. Therefore, always keep your body hydrated and skin moisturized.
How did you deal with dry skin problem?
1. When should I go see doctor for dry skin?
Even if after doing above things you do not feel your skin moisturized, and notices following things-
- Red rashes on skin
- Bleeding or bacterial infection
- If you see eczema or prurigo.
In any of the above case, you should visit your doctor.