C-section delivery is something which is not planned from before. The complications and situations lead to C-section delivery. But it is one of the most common surgeries in the world. C-section is a painful process and also it turns out to be a difficult surgery for the mother. After C-section delivery, the mother requires constant care, love and support for her to heal quickly from the surgery. Apart from these things, the new mom also requires a controlled diet, for her to recover soon. Now, what to eat and what to avoid after C-section delivery.
Diet plays a very important role in the speedy recovery. The right diet will help the mom to provide proper nutrition to the baby via breastfeeding and also to her body, to get stronger. According to research, a breastfeeding mom requires a daily intake of additional 500K calories.
Check out the blog to know more about the nutritions and food to eat after C-section-
Why do you need Nutrition after Delivery?
Now, you might be thinking what a silly question is this? You gave birth to your baby, your body is weak, obviously, you need nutrition to recover. Yes, but that’s not the only reason. After delivery, you breastfeed your baby, and breast milk is the only source for the baby to get the necessary nutrition. The Baby gets nutrition from breast milk and breast milk is nourished with the nutrition which the mother consumes.
Good nutrition after delivery helps to soothe your abdominal wall and uterus which gets slit in the C-section delivery. Proper nourishment to your body will also help you to shed your pregnancy weight.
Essential Nutrients to consume after Cesarean Delivery
Your body needs a balanced diet after C-section delivery. Now, a balanced diet means having some essential nutrients which help in the healing process. The following is the list of nutrients that you would need both in C-section and Normal delivery.
- Proteins- Proteins are the building block of our body. They help in the generation of new cell and is a perfect nutrient for the healing process. Some of the protein-rich foods which help to repair the wear and tear of the body cells are as follows-
- Dairy Products
- Calcium- Calcium helps to strengthen your bones and teeth, and relaxes your muscles. This nutrient is also needed in blood coagulation. Good sources of calcium which you can take in your diet are-
- Iron- Iron helps to increase your haemoglobin level. Since the first day of pregnancy, you must be taking iron supplements, so you know how important and essential it is. Iron evens helps your baby to keep him away from any neurological problem.
Iron-rich foods are-
- Egg yolk
- Dried beans
- Dry fruits
- Vitamin C- Vitamin C helps to strengthen your and your baby’s immune system. This vitamin is very important for post-delivery recovery. It supports prompt healing by boosting collagen level. Vitamin C also provides antioxidants, which helps to fight infections.
Vitamin C rich fruits and vegetables are-
- Fluids- Drinking lots of fluids will keep you away from dehydration and constipation. After delivery, many women have the problem of constipation. Good fluids will help to smoothen your bowel movements and post-surgery recovery. Try to avoid caffeinated drinks, it will affect your breast milk and your baby’s sleep.
You can have fluids such as-
- Coconut water
- Low-fat milk
- Herbal teas
- Fiber- Fibers are the best way to deal with constipation, Constipation can delay your healing process and will put pressure on incisions and wounds.
Some of the fiber-rich food which you should consume are-
- Raw fruits and vegetables, to add roughage
- Oats and ragi also have high fiber content
- Lentils, green grams and pulses can also be consumed as it is rich in fiber and protein content.
Indian Food: Spices which help in Recovery after C-Section
Indian food is the best food in the world. The spices used to make the food helps to increase the immune system, and also in speedy recovery. Indian food is rich in calcium, proteins, iron and vitamins it fulfils your nutritional requirement. Some of the common food items which are used in India are- fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, daliya, oats, and masoor dal, all these food items help to increase the milk production in mother.
Some of the best spices, which helps in speedy recovery are-
Hing/ Asafoetida- Adding hing to your food items post-pregnancy, helps in better digestion and also relieves you from gas problem.
Jeera- Jeera avoids the bloating feeling, helps in production of milk and also aids in digestion.
Ajwain/ Carom Seeds- You must have consumed this before pregnancy also. Consumption of Ajwain helps in digestion and also increases breast milk.
Foods to Avoid after C-Section
After knowing what foods, nutrition and spices to take. Let’s see what foods should you avoid after a c-section. You need to be strict about your diet, as your body is weak and your physical activity is zero, so eating something which does not digest easily will just add up to your weight.
Food items to avoid-
- Avoid Spicy food, as it can lead to gastric problem.
- Carbonated drinks can cause gas.
- Stay away from alcohol, as it will hinder your milk-producing capacity.
- No cold foods and drinks, it will make your child catch a cold.
- Caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee have diuretic properties. So, have them in limited quantity.
- If you have an issue with bloating and gas, then stay away from vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, onion, lady’s fingers and broccoli.
After understanding about the diet after C-section, you also should know about some of the bonus tips. Like-
- Normally, we take three heavy meals now instead of that, keep having your meals throughout the day. Have 5-6 small meals.
- Maintain a 2-hour gap between your meals. Whenever you feel hungry, munch on some fruits and nuts.
- Do not eat in hurry, have a relaxed meal. Take some time to chew and swallow your food instead of gulping it. Give your baby to someone, so that you can eat properly.
- You need rest and ample rest. So, try to sleep whenever possible. Good and proper sleep with a newborn baby might not be possible, so try to have some power nap.
- Consume only home-cooked food as you are sure about it and it contains fresh ingredients.
No matter you have had a C-section or normal delivery, diet plays a very important role when it comes to post-partum recovery. Just remember, your body needs time, it took 9 months for you to deliver give your body the exact same time to come back in shape. Do not hesitate to ask for support whenever you need it.
How did you recover after C-section delivery?
- How to Stimulate Baby Brain Development (Food + Activities)
- 9 Best Baby Bottle for Breastfed Babies (Reviews) Of 2020
- How to Lose Baby Weight After Pregnancy Naturally?
- Everything to know about Epidural Injections during Pregnancy
- When to Stop Sex During Pregnancy?