We all love drinking coconut water in hot summers, it helps us to beat the heat and also gives us a refreshing feeling. Coconut water is a real gift of nature, which makes us feel energized and the water is filled with nutrients. Consuming coconut water during pregnancy has a lot of health benefits. It is considered as the best source of nutrients as it is a mixture of essential nutrients like chlorides, riboflavin, calcium, magnesium and vitamin C.
Coconut water also known by the name Nariyal Paani grows in abundance in tropical countries. It is rich in medicinal properties and is recommended as the best juice when you are sick. Pregnancy demands switching to a healthy diet, which means a strict no to any packaged drinking. Coconut water is an alternative drink that is both flavourful and nutritious.
Check out the blog to understand more about the benefits of coconut water during pregnancy-
Benefits of Coconut Water During Pregnancy
1. Potential Natural Diuretic-
Coconut water is considered as the Natural Diuretic, it helps to increase the urge to urinate which helps to flush out the toxins from the body and clears urinary tract. Drinking coconut water helps to prevent any chance of kidney stones and infections.
2. Filled with Essential Electrolytes-
During pregnancy the need for electrolytes increases to fight the conditions like morning sickness, nausea and diarrhea. Coconut water is rich in electrolytes and provide essential electrolytes like calcium, potassium, sodium, mineral and phosphorus. They help to provide energy to the body and also soothes them.
3. Relief from Heartburn and Constipation-
Heartburn and Constipation are common problems during pregnancy. As your body is trying to accommodate your baby, your stomach has very less space left leading to heartburn, constipation and indigestion. The fiber content in coconut water strengthens the digestive system, regulates pH level and also prevents constipation.
Coconut water increases metabolism and also detoxify your body. Being a natural acid neutralizer, it prevents heartburn.
4. Fights Infection-
Coconut water is loaded with nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It boosts your immunity and fights off the infection. Lauric acid in the water is responsible for the production of powerful antimicrobial compound monolaurin.
5. Maintain Heart Health-
Having low blood pressure due to a low electrolyte level is common during pregnancy. Consuming coconut water helps to improve the level of potassium, magnesium and lauric acid. It regulates the blood pressure, improves good cholesterol and maintains heart health.
6. Natural Drink-
Coconut water is a natural drink to compensate with your daily requirement of water. It is free from any additive flavours and harmful components. Whenever, you feel dehydrated quench your thirst with coconut water, it will provide you hydration and energy also.
7. Hydrates your Body-
Coconut water keeps your body hydrated. It is a natural isotonic drink, which gives you energy and also rehydrates your body. If exercising regularly is in your routine, you should drink coconut water as an energy drink. It also helps to limit the stretch marks.
8. Maintains a Healthy Weight-
Fat-free and low in calories, Coconut water helps to maintain a healthy weight during pregnancy. Pregnancy already adds extra weight on your body. Coconut water helps to control the calories consumption and also maintain a healthy weight.
9. Low Sugar Content-
During pregnancy, you will feel tired most of the time. As your body is adapting to new change and also you need more amount nutrients for the growth of baby. Instead, of switching to any energy drink, it is better to drink coconut water. As it provides you with natural nutrients and also energizes your body.
10. Helps in Fetal growth-
Consumption of coconut water helps in the healthy growth of fetal. It contains biologically active compounds which provides all essential nutrients to the fetus and helps in the growth.
11. Regulates Blood Pressure-
If you have a problem with high blood pressure, then the consumption of coconut water is the best solution. Loaded with potassium, coconut water helps to regulate the blood flow and blood pressure.
How much Coconut Water to Drink and When to Drink?
Excess of everything is bad whether you are pregnant or not. Moderation is the key to best health in pregnancy.
- You can drink around 2 glass of coconut water every day.
- Try to consume fresh coconut water instead of packaged coconut water.
- If you do not like the taste of coconut water, do not consume it.
- Though you can drink coconut water whenever you like, but the best time to drink is early in the morning, so that you get enough of electrolytes and nutrients in your body.
Every person gives their suggestion when it comes to pregnancy. There are many myths related to drinking of coconut water during pregnancy.
- Coconut water is filled with nutrients, you do not need to have any more nutrients– It is not correct, a pregnant woman needs all types of nutrients, therefore do not skip fruits and vegetables.
- It makes baby fairer. Well, the colour of the baby depends on the genetics not on coconut water.
- Coconut water will help baby grow thicker hair. This statement has no scientific backing.
- It is the best source of hydration. You can’t substitute water with coconut water. To keep your body well hydrated you need 8-glass of water.
- Coconut water does not cause acidity in women. To fight the acidity, it is better to do some exercises.
How to choose right Coconut?
After understanding the amazing benefits of coconut water, it is important to understand how to choose the right coconut for you-
- Choose the one which is green in colour and has no brown rings.
- Before buying shake the coconut to know about its water quantity.
- If the coconut is cut, stored and then given to you, most probably it has more pulp and less water. The pulp is not suitable for pregnant women.
- Other factors which decide the quality of coconut are- distance of trees from seashore, weather condition.
So, above are some of the benefits of Coconut water during pregnancy. If you are not liking the taste of coconut water, it is better to avoid drinking it as it can give you nausea.
Did you drink coconut water during your pregnancy?
- 21 Best Fertility Foods For Getting Pregnant Fast
- Everything to know about Umbilical Cord
- Sciatic Nerve Pain During Pregnancy