Oct
Cheer Me On!
Posted by Blessed Mom in Confessions

I am blatantly asking for encouragement today. Or for someone to be completely honest with me.

Here’s the deal:
In 2010 I ran my first two 5Ks. Last October I planned to run one but the early pregnancy wore me out too much. I told myself I would run that 5K this year. Then I had a baby. I got back into running, but not as seriously as I should have. Considering I am still healing from childbirth, I cut myself some slack. I had decided I wasn’t running the 5K.
Then I went running this morning. I ran 2 miles in 15 minutes. That’s a 7 1/2 minute mile. That’s good! However, I couldn’t have kept going at that pace. So I got to thinking that if I paced myself a little better maybe I could finish the 5K on Saturday. I am naturally a speed runner. Distance running is hard for me. But I know I can do it.
Here’s my problem with a 5K a week from today….  I am a perfectionist. I want to do well, not just finish, this race. Because I’m not quite where I’d like to be in preparation I might not finish in my goal of under 27 minutes. But I still feel like I should try. I feel that, in the end, I might be more discouraged by not trying than by trying and not meeting my high expectations. A year ago I told myself I would run in this 5K, so I should do it. I can do it.
I have friends running in the Marine Corps marathon next weekend. Maybe if I run a 5K I can pretend I’m running a marathon with them.
So, am I crazy to decide the week before to run a race? Should I do it? Show me some love…or tell me to stay home in my pajamas! :)

6 Comments on "Cheer Me On!"

1. Kathy says:

You can definitely do it!! If you’re used to running you will easily complete a 5k! DOn’t put too much pressure on yourself to get a good time, just go out and do it and have a good time. =)

2. Kathy says:

and WOW, a 7 and 1/2 min mile is MUCH faster than I run!!!

3. Mandy says:

Whatever you set your mind to do, do it! I know it’s important to you to get a good time, but take a step back and look at the bigger picture, finishing the race is a huge accomplishment! All that to say, go for it :)

4. Deanna says:

I say do it. I’m trying my first 5K on Thanksgiving day- giving myself time to complete the 6 week training course first, but I’ve never run a day before in my life, so I need that. You’re naturally a runner- just pace yourself and you can do it no problem. And if you don’t finish it in under 27 minutes, that’s when you console yourself with the fact that you just had a baby- cut yourself some slack!

5. Shelly says:

Yes, run it! If you can pick up running afte a long break & run at that kind of pace, then you’ll be just fine. If you don’t PR, who cares?! You’ve got 2 kids now so anything you do right now is an accomplishment. Plus, you will be a big inspiration for me because I want to be able to pick back up after baby #2 is born but I know it’s going to be much harder. Seeing other moms do races is a huge encouragement for me.

Trackbacks for this post

1. The Blessed Mom » Blog Archive » What We’re Up To

Got something to say? Go for it!